1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Hollowbody Pickup ??'s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Mar 24, 2010.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    Looking for a brief break down of the tonal differences between a skyline hollowbody with Barts, Chisonics and Darkstars. I'm looking at getting one, but am not sure which pickups to go with. Can anybody straighten me out?

I mostly would be using it for blues, country, singer songwriter stuff, and fingerfunk.

2. levifly

levifly

Nov 29, 2004
    raleigh, nc
    I cannot speak about the Darks or the Chi's but mine has
    Barts and I love the sound. Very jazzy sounding to me. And with a few tweaks of the knobs I can make it sound almost like a string upright bass. Very versitile

3. SJLee

SJLee

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    I don't know about the Bart's or Chi's, but you can check out sound clips of the Darkstars on the Bass Whispers site. Scroll to the bottom for comprehensive sounds clips of all pickup combination's, soloed and in band context.

I have one with Darkstars and Lakland really had something special going with the Darkstar hollow body combo.

http://thebasswhisperer.com/

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    thanks, thats pretty helpful for getting my bearings on Darkstars in the HB.

Maybe its just me, but part of the magic of hollowbodys (at least in a studio format) is the narrow bandwidth that they tend to occupy (mids and lower mids mostly). When I look at recordings that have HB tones that I like, part of what I dig is how they hang in this one sweet spot in the mix so prominently without the huge bottom and strongs highs. Its a "how it sits in the mix" thing. When I hear the Darkstar clips, they sound really wide and dynamic, which is a great tone, but not exactly what I associate with HB tone, nor what I'm going for goal-wise with the Lakie.

So I guess that rules out DS's :) Although that one gold one with the Dark Stars that has been kicking around on TB looks so wicked

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Maybe I can simplify my question. What I'm going for is that chunky mid/lo-fi retro kind of vibe. A little plunky and narrow, heavy mid texture with a strong bottom. Not really looking for brightness, maybe just a bit of air in the tone. [/semi useful expletives] Probably gonna string it with flats....... so Bart's or Chi's?

6. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Chi-Sonics are going to sound more like Dark Stars than Barts. Based on your stated preferences, I'm thinking you will prefer the Barts the most.

Good luck!

7. SJLee

SJLee

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    The gold DS was picked up pretty quickly. I think in a few hours. Is there a recording that captures the tone you are thinking? Perhaps you can find out what was used or are you specifically looking for a Lakland Hollowbody?

8. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Lovin' my HB with Chisonics. They have more mids then Darkstars, but have that nice open sound Darkstars have.

[​IMG]

9. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    +1

I would recommend the dark stars over anything, anytime. But that's just me and my obsession with mid to late 60's Guild Starfire basses :D

10. are dark stars still available in the hollowbody? yet another bass i should have never let go...

11. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    They aren't.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020