Lakland Issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassSteve, Mar 16, 2006.

1. BassSteve

Mar 12, 2006
    I am heartbroken:crying: My beloved Lakland 55-94 Deluxe is coming apart at the seams. I bought this bass new shortly after reading the 5 String Shootout in Bass Player, and it has served me faithfully for over ten years. Lately, I've been noticing a buzz around the 5th fret on the G side, and I flipped the bass over to find that the maple fretboard is actually lifting from the neck in that area!! I don't know how long it's been doing this as I seldom look at the bass from that angle, but there is a definite gap. I contacted Dan Lakin, and he was kind enough to offer to fix it for free, even though it is out of warranty. Thanks, Dan!!

I guess the big question is this: Over the past few years I have heard that there has been a history of neck problems with these basses. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Could it be the slab cut board moving differently than the 1/4 sawn neck?? I am trying to decide whether I want to keep the bass afterward, or go with something else. I also play a Status Empathy 5, but the Lakland is nice for a fat, more traditional sound and I would need to replace it. I would think that the wood would have cured or stabilized by now, which is why I was so surprised to find this situation. Any thoughts or comments?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have no affiliation with Lakland but based on reputation I would say letting Dan fix the bass is your best bet. He likes to take of his customers based on everything I have read on several boards.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I agree. Let Dan handle it first. I'll betcha you'll want to keep it afterwards.
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    This is my understanding as well. He and Mike Tobias have great reputations for taking care of their customers (as do others such as Bill Conklin, etc).
  5. I got my 55-94 in 1999 and have had no issues with the neck.

I doubt it is anything in the design or we would have heard more problems like this by now. Let Dan take a look at it. It's no reason to sell a bass you seem to like.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Man, wood is wood... and it's alive, ummm... even when it's dead ... we're talking a bit of glue. This is no big deal in the land o' luthery... At least the neck isn't rubber... I've seen necks that needed a tweak on the truss every time a cloud passed ... (well seasonally, at least...)

I'll aggree that it is traumatic when it happens to your bass. You'll be fine though.
  7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. Why would you want to sell a bass that has such tremendous customer service standing behind it??? :confused:

You're not likely to get that kind of service from too many places. And wood is wood. Unlike your Status and my Steinie, many wood basses do develop issues over time. I haven't heard a single word about Laklands being more likely to develop problems than any other bass; rather, they seem to hold up better than a lot of other models out there.
  8. I read about your problem and I remember a couple people somewhere on talkbass complaining about the older laklands with maple necks having the same problem. I think it has happened before and right when they started seeing problems popped up they stopped using birdseye maple necks. Please don't take my word for it, just see dan.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My 55-94 is over 8 years old, and the maple neck has not had any issues. But now it will.
  10. steve21

steve21 Banned

What's with the cryptic "Now it will" Munji?
  11. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Man you should just stop complaining & let Lakland fix it. We can't do anything here.
    Maybe Lakland will put an American neck on if it's totally out of wack. ; )
    If this bass was 1 or 2 years old you have a right, but dude,10 years old & they'll fix it for free. I would shut up & send the bass of immediatley before they change their mind.

Munjibunga, your neck has already started to separate 2 years ago. Get a magnifying glass out & you'll find it.
  12. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Maybe after reading this thread Munji is going to be freaking about the possibility of this happening to his bass.
    Just a guess.:smug:
  13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It's a 55-94. It's already got an American neck on it.:eyebrow: :D ;)
  14. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Well no wonder they want to fix it for free.
  15. I don't think the posters question is should I send it to Dan to get it fixed, I think that's already been decieded (no brainer) It's does he want to keep it afterward.

My opinion is yes. Keep it for goodness sake. I just got a 55-94 and I love it. If you've had your Lakland for 10 years and it's been doing you right, I think it's a no brainer.
  16. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    How would he know if he wants to sell it until after he sees the repair?
  17. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I have a 4-94 fretless with ebony board that had the same problem. The fingerboard lifted up on the treble side between the nut and the 3rd fretline. Dan repaired it at no charge ( even though I bought it used off ebay) about 6 years ago and it has held fine although you can feel a slight seam between the edge of the fingerboard and the neck. Great service by Dan!
  18. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey Hugh,
    Just use a flat sanding block with some 220 grit paper on the edge of the seam, then graduate to 320, 400, and 600 grit, followed by some OOOO steel wool. Then apply a couple of coats of tung oil to it, add a little carnauba wax, and boom, you're done! Works like a charm, every time. Ebony shrinks a little over time, so it certainly isn't an uncommon problem.
    What's nice is to take that same series of papers and sand the edge of the fingerboard so that it feels as broken in as a 50 year old bass....simply round over the edge of the fingerboard. Once you do that, you can't go back!! I do this to each and every bass that comes through my doors, and it makes a world of difference!!
    MP aka JC
  19. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    This is what I was wondering. Why would you sell it after it's been with you for 10 years? It's practically a body part! The neck is probably super-smooth with that special coating of dead skin cells and human oil.

Don't sell it. You'll regret it.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I bought a used 55-02, one of the early versions, that had a neck problem. I simply took it to a very good luthier who took his time and straightened it out. The neck and bass now plays like a dream and it only set me back $80. Since you seem to like your 55-94, send it to Lakland and let Dan hook you up. You will most likely get back a dream bass.