Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Shoreline? What?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzy bass man, Jan 4, 2006.

1. When I was in Japan recently with my school jazz combo we got a chance to wander (mostly because our teacher was off getting plastered). On one of the nights I ended up in a guitar shop for a little while. I wasn't thinking they would have anything nice other than maybe some Japanese fenders. I discovered to my suprise that a good chunk of their stock were "Laklands," but instead of being marked "skyline" they were marked "shoreline" series. They didn't seem like cheap copies but still...
    Any body know anything bout this :confused:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I believe they're the same as the Skylines. However, whereas American cities have recognizable skylines, Japan has recognizable shorelines. That's all I think.

3. So their not illegal copies?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd email el presidante of Lakland just to be sure: dlakin@lakincorp.com ... very personable guy

5. hmmmm...

interesting..."shoreline" is also a colour offered by Lakland....

IT'S JUST SO DARN CONFUSING! :)

6. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Korean made Skylines arent sold in Japan
    ESP (the distributor in Japan) asked Lakland if they could make Laklands here

Shorelines are a little better than the Skylines
    I think the biggest difference between Skylines and Shorelines is that they have graphite in the necks

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The Lakland shoreline is not an illegal copie,they are only being distributed(at least for now)in Japan.and they are advertised in some of the Japanese music publications.

8. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Shoreline

Also Shorelines are available with flame maple tops and alder or ashbodies

9. That settles that. :cool:
    Thanks

10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

5-string skylines have graphite bars in the necks, too.

Where are the Shorelines set up? In Chicago like the Skylines, or in Japan? I'm betting the latter -- wouldn't make sense to ship them across the Pacific twice. I'd love to try one, though.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The only difference between the Shorline and the Skyline is that the shoreline is made by ESP and distributed in Japan.they are the same bass and this info comes from a very very reliable source.

12. Jazzy Bass Man, how did Shoreline prices compare to Fender Japan prices? According to the Website a Shoreline Glaub is 220,500, which if I'm not mistaken is almost $2K USD.

IIRC Daryl Jones played a Shoreline bass at the Lakland Anniversary party.

13. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Fender Japans are between $400-700
    USA Laklands are $4000+

I was a little disappointed that the Korean models were never released in Japan. I asked a friend at ESP "Why they didnt buy the Korean models ?" He said that "They would have to do setup and quality control on each bass again and they felt they could do better"

I ordered a ShoreLine Glaub and found the neck and volute to be a lot stockier than the USA Glaub. I never tried the Korean models

14. Shorelines are very good basses. I would say better than Skylines. They are quite on par with US Laklands in terms of make, fit and finish (I've had 2 of each), and have the same pickups and preamps. But they are limited in features and are not sent to US to be set up. However, ESP takes very good care of them.

I've had two, a SL4-94 and SL55-94. Note their model indices differ from those of Skylines. My understanding is that the hardware is akin to that of Skylines, but the wood types are neither ones used in US nor in Skylines. Shorelines also come in alder.

note the Fuji logo and matte hardware:
    http://foto.mail.ru/bk/random/4/8.html

SL 55-94 classic (alder), top, and US 55-94 std., bottom:
    http://foto.mail.ru/bk/random/4/8.html#25

In the past, it was a very good thing to get one for it was like an intermediate step between Skyline and US at close to the price of a Skyline. After the yen -to -dollar ratio changed that much, getting a Shoreline may be too expensive

Lastly, note that ESP also makes Skyline Japan Laklands that differ from those that we are used to. They have other woods (like, the deluxe comes in ALDER with a maple top), other pickups and electronics, and other model names, see below:
    http://www.espguitars.co.jp/lakland/skyline/index.html

My understanding is that these Skylines by ESP are something like Edwards or mid-grade LTDs: made in ESP facilities in China etc. and set up and tested in Japan

I would get another Shoreline any day, but would like to play a Skyline by ESP before getting one.

15. that's 'Shoreline Gold', to be precise

16. tonester

tonester

Jun 1, 2009
    chicago il
    commercial user
    I own one the 44-60.awesome bass ,excellent player,sounds great.