Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Somebassguy, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Well I'm still searching for my new bass (Check my Real low end thread). Been looking at the lakeland series of 5 stringers. Anyone play the 55-01 and 55-02? Any comparisons? And how big are those necks? I've been staying away from 5 stringers mainly cause I don't like big necks but it seems the only way I'll get that low end I'm looking for is with a 5 stringer.
  2. I've played and owned both. My 55-02 is my main bass, which surprises me, to be honest.

I always wanted a Lakland, but never fell in love with a 5-string... Until I played the 55-01 -02 and -94. My 55-01 was a fretless and I've decided that I'll wait for an -02 fretless when I'm serious about it.

It was the first 5 that fell into my hands with the same level of comfort as a normal four did. Nice comfortable neck, narrow, but not too narrow spacing. Aside from the mental adjustment of the 5th string not being an E, the bass just felt right.

I'll be getting a Joe Osbourne 5 this next year. Trust me, I'm a converted 5 player.

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The Lakland basses are awesome. I own a 44-02. I've also played two 55-02's, but I've never owned one.

IMO, the necks are comfortable (I think they're the same dimensions as a J-Bass neck), but I can't judge for you, you have to judge for yourself.

Lakland basses are renowned for being extremely versatile. You can make them sound like a Jazz bass or a Stingray and anything in between.

Laklands I recommend to all who have the money to spend.

Edit: Also, check out the Lakland megathread.
  4. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Thanks for your responses friends. Well I took the plunge and just ordered the 55-02, black with maple fretboard. Should be getting it by the end of this week or early next week :D

Just couldn't resist the mm/jazz pickup config and all the other goodys that come with it;)