Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Laminated bridge?!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Eric Jackson, Sep 26, 2003.

1. The Fall '03 issue of Double Bassist magazine contains a photograph of Rainer Zepperitz, retired principal of the Berlin Philharmonic, with a bass that appears to have a laminated bridge. No adjusters, just a black line that suggests it might be a sandwich of maple on both sides of an ebony core, of about 1/8" thickness.

I've never seen this before. Anyone have any experience with these? I'd guess it would be stiffer and more warp-resistant, I'm curious to know how it would affect the sound of the instrument. Brighter, maybe?

2. I'd like to see this; I don't suppose there's any way you could scan the picture?

3. My home scanner is a temperamental Neanderthal, and I don't know the mechanics of posting a picture here, but I'll see what I can do.

4. Eric, I'll save you the trouble. It does indeed appear to be laminated.

5. Thanks, Bob. Have you seen one of these before?

6. I've seen some briges that were laminated before, but nothing like this particular one. From the photo, it appears to be very thin. It might be carbon fiber in the center. I don't think ebony would be a very good choice for this application.

7. Interesting. Thanks for posting that pic, Bob.