1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Laptop advice...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If I were to buy a Dell Inspiron 1200 from a friend, what should I pay? He bought it from someone else for 400 with a case, wireless card, printer, and a Dell Jukebox MP3 player.

I just want the laptop, wireless, and the case. What do you all think?

2. I would say not more than 300, but then economics might vary in the US more than here, I don't know.

Either way, a computer is only as good as its operating system:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/ ;)

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, I'm not that much of a fan of celerons, but it is a laptop, and I do like zero gaming on it.

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'd say look for a Macintosh iBook, but that's just me :)

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I've got a toshiba satellite that I'm typing from right now. It's got a Celeron M and I was amazed at how well it runs. I wasn't holding my breath, but I'm at a point now where I do everything on this machine - keeping up my webpage, LOTS of gaming, eBaying, etc. Don't count the Celeron out.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's what suprised me about this one. It starts up pretty fast.

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

I might be singing a different tune when it catches on fire just out of the warranty, but for now it's awesome :D

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's one problem I had with my old compaq. It just farted out quite a bit. I mean, I had to re-solder the power jack to the motherboard 4 or 5 times. It was on it's second motherboard, too.

One thing about this one, is it doesn't have much for built in features, but it sure does feel a lot more solid tahn my old one. I guess, not having a lot of internally installed stuff, it's easier to replace if it breaks.

9. I'd say about 250 for it, no more than 300.

10. Same here. I don't actually play too many new games, as my graphics card is awful, but it's great other that that.