1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Large Cats

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jojobean39, Sep 28, 2009.

1. There was a thread several weeks ago about people who liked large, exotic cats (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576389&highlight=exotic+cats). I got a chance to go and visit a breeder and interact with the cats a little bit. It was a really awesome experience and I got to learn a lot about them and what it would be like to take care of them. It definitely is a lot of work and would be a bit more similar to raising a child than a regular housecat.

Here is the Serval:

DSCN0161.

Caracal:

DSCN0160.

Bob Cat:

DSCN0162.

All of these animals were really beautiful. It was kind of amazing to see such large cats just let you pet them. They were pretty lazy creatures to be honest. I thought they would be a bit more lively, but they were all mellow. It was a really interesting experience and definitely something that is making me consider one of these animals as a pet somewhere down the road.

I have a lot more pics here: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa33/joeypazzalia/Arnolds Wildlife/

2. I plan on having a caracal when I have a more stable living arrangement. (ie:oops:wn a house and hold a job for more than a few years)

I've been researching caracals, servals, savannahs, and bengals for years. All really unique and cool animals.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Totally getting a Savannah as soon as I have a bigger place; one a bit more suitable than the one I'm in now for larger kitties :). Getting an F3 for sure. I've visited a couple of local breeders a few times now to get some time in with them, learn about their habits and things like that. Awesome animals though, and again, I will have one someday!

4. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    I have two Bengals, servals and savannahs are really expensive. I think servals are in the 5 digit range, almost 30k to purchase. I'd actually be very hesitant to own one as a pet, the bengals are wildish, and very closely related. An instant out of control with one of those would not be a good instant. Bengals are amazing though.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Serval's are cheap - especailly when compared to Savannahs.
    F3 Savannahs run in the $2000-$3000 range typically, and can go up from there.
    Servals can be had around $1500-$2000.

And please, yes, Savannahs etc. are big cats, but not THAT dangerous. Serval's can be, but attacks are very rare.

6. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    Do you own servals? I thought they were much more expensive. A serval jumping into your lap at full speed, doing a burn out to get to the couch might leave you with stitches.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I can't own Servals in WA state sadly; no exotics, only hybrids here (or so I've been told by the breeders). Those prices are quotes from those breeders though, and what I would pay if I went and picked one up today. I'm sure the prices vary on the specific cat as well as breeder, and I've seen Savannahs fetch $30k before, so it's not unheard of at all; though that's for the 70% F1s typically.

Yes, their claws are sharp, and you'll definitely need to evalute that and take appropriate cautions when thinking of getting a big cat (heck, even domestics can cause damage). Being a cat guy I'm used to these things and am well aware of what those claws can do. Keeping the claws trimmed also helps though :).

8. The prices for the Servals were around $2000 or $2500. The prices for the Bob Cats were $1500. The Caracals were $2500. They were the largest of the cats. Their ears were awesome. Really pointy looking.

These cats are not easy to get though (in FL anyway). You have to either do 1000 hours of work around the cats or do 100 and take a really tough test. I guess they are really trying to regulate the ownership of these cats.

One thing that is a little odd is the feeding. You can only feed them raw meat. So, that would be something that might cause a lot of people problems.

9. I would assume that Servals are comparable in price to Caracals, and typical price for a Caracal is $3500 US.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    they sell commercial feed for big cats... looks like chopmeat. I use to work at a zoo with everything from African Lions to Bengal Tigers to Jaguars to Mountain Lions and Bobcats.

Big cats are really cool creatures.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    That's only true of exotics, not the hybrids. :)

12. ^^^^

Right. The exotics cannot handle regular cat food. They said only raw meat.

I was really surprised that the prices for these cats was not higher. I believe the highest priced was the Caracal, which wsa $2500. When you think of how much some of these Persian show cats go for, it's really not that crazy. It doesn't seem like breeding them is a very lucrative business. They had one other kind of cat there called a Jungle Cat. It looked more like a large house cat. Very pretty cats. http://arnoldsexotics.com/jungle_cats.htm

One interesting thing is how the Servals hissed. Instead of meowing like my cat does, these things hiss. It sounds a bit ominous at first. But after a little while, you realize that's just kind of their greeting. They do it when they are happy. I'm just used to my cat only hissing when he is really pissed. I did think this was a really cool pic of the Serval:

DSCN0179.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Best thing ever is to be holding a full grown one and have it start purring. It's like a full, upper body massage.

14. I wasn't fortunate enough to be able to pick them up like that. It was very hot out (90+ degrees) and the cats were doing their best to stay under their little shady tables. The bob cats were the only ones really out and about. They were by far the most friendly of the bunch. They acted very much like regular house cats, which was interesting to me.