1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Last Night's Gig!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Last night's gig turned out to be a night of legends! First of all, as a favor to the club owner Keith Wilder asked if we'd like to do a 3 song hit. We didn't mind. When we do "Ain't No Half Steppin'", we jam it out with Parliament's "Tear the Roof Off". Well, we start "Ain't No Halfsteppin", and I noticed that we have an extra rythym guitarist. It's Chet from the Ohio Players! :eek: You know, those magic fingers behind "Love Rollercoaster". Also Freddie Starr decides to sit in on percussion. Who's Freddie Starr? Part time percussionist for Carlos Santana, and keyboardist/guitarist/percussionist for Parliament/Funkadelic! :cool: Anyway we do the song, and get to the P Funk part, and I noticed that there are 2 horn players to my left. Keith walks over to me, and says, "There are 2 members of the Horny Horns (P Funk!) here. They're here to play for the house band, and they heard that we do 'Tear The Roof Off the Sucker', and asked they could play on this part." :cool: Then we all took solos. This was one of THE coolest short gigs ever! In a sense, it was like having Heatwave, the Ohio Players, and Parliament/Funkadelic on stage at the same time with me on bass!!! :hyper:

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    *spewing envy* :bassist:

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Awesome!

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I love when stuff like that happens! I've had many famous people sit in with various bands I've been in, it's always a gas! Grats!

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    ....and just how did it sound? ;)

I have a feeling it just grooved.

Wood...got anymore youtube links? My daighter fell in love with the Anthony David one from the Jools Holland show.

Coming back to Europe anytime?

6. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wow,,,,,,,,sounds great....thats when you wish you had your Zoom H2 runnin'!!! Congrats- big time!

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sounds like a big ol' party, and Big Fun! Awesome, very stoked for you.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    You are my hero!!

Congratulations on an awesome gig!

9. OMG! You lucky duck! (Though I probably would have frozen in embarrasment by my mediocre playing.)

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You need better heroes! :D Seriously, it was a blast!

11. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    :rolleyes: <--- Me green with envy.

Dude, I would love to see some film of that show!

12. OMFG!!!!!!

No audio or video?????
    Please........................... pretty please?

13. psychotiger

psychotiger

Feb 24, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Builder: Moore Custom Guitars
    The same thing happened to me once but when I woke up they were all gone!!!

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Me too... but it wasn't until Rick James shows up in drag that I woke up :eek:

She's a super freak, super freak
    She's super-freaky, yow :bassist:

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Very cool. I'd mark that as a milestone in life. :)

16. Wow my life really sux... I dont even dream about this stuff

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Pics? Or it never happened!!

Just kidding! I love gigs like that!

18. Very cool! I had a house gig for a couple of years way back in the day (early 80's) at the Chase Hotel in St. Louis, backing up a guy named Phil Driscoll (who was kind of famous for playing trumpet for Joe Cocker). All the acts that played the large Arena venue in St. Louis stayed at the hotel, so everyone from the Commodores' to Heart, etc. sat in (or at least came in to hang). It was a hoot!!!!

That sounded like one heck of a cool night.

Man, I'm getting old... the Arena has been knocked down, and from what I understand, Phil first found Jesus, and then found lodging at a Federal Prison.... and all the 6 night a week gigs are gone:(

19. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas

I think I would have had an "I'm not worthy" moment and chocked. Way to go man!

:bassist:

20. That awesome, man. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Rock on.