Late 70s disco sound w/ flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SlapPopBass, May 7, 2019.

1. A piece of sponge or weatherstripping under (usually) or sometimes taped over the strings right in front of the bridge. They are finicky to set up to get the right amount of muting. Carol Kaye is the only one I saw who taped the sponge over the strings.

2. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Ah, ok.

3. Phat Nick

Phat Nick

Mar 14, 2018
    Italy
    Thank you! Huge fan here too

4. Phat Nick

Phat Nick

Mar 14, 2018
    Italy
    Talking about Musicman basses with flats.. I heard that Louis Johnson used flats on the Sabre (not the Stingray) he used on Brothers Johnson’s “Light up the night”...can anybody confirm or demystify this story?

5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Just took off EB Cobalt flats and put on TI flats. Yup, definitely more old school sounding. If both of these have similarities to rounds, I'd say Cobalt flats are closer to SS rounds but without the fret noise, and TI flats are closer to worn in nickel (or nickel plated) rounds. More of that flatwound thud on the TI flats, so I'm digging them more for that old school tone. Less brightness, more mids, warmer and woodier tone. EB cobalt flats are a different type of awesome, clearer and brighter tone, but muscular.

I honestly remember TI flats being more floppy, but it's been like 4 years since I've tried them. My setup is already fitting for TIs because my A string saddle is always the highest (slightly higher than E, then the D is similar height to E and G is the lowest - fits TIs perfectly). So no fret buzz, and what's surprising, I didn't even have to adjust the truss rod one bit. Maybe I'll have to loosen it just a tad once the neck settles, but so far, really great for standard tuning. Helps that Stingray pickup is closer to the bridge than a P pickup, so playing them over the pickup is awesome on the ray. Also helps that I usually play rounds more aggressively than flats, so it all evens out.

I'd definitely recommend trying out both EB Cobalt flats and TI flats on a Stingray.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    tindrum and Phat Nick like this.
  6. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Really effing awesome playing, dude. Great tone too.

tindrum and Phat Nick like this.
  7. Phat Nick

Phat Nick

Mar 14, 2018
    Italy
    Thank you :) didn’t expect everybody to like this video like this,as it’s a very quick recording...

tindrum and BillMason like this.
  8. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Your video makes me want to get a Stingray bass with flats. Well done. :)

Phat Nick likes this.
  9. Phat Nick

Phat Nick

Mar 14, 2018
    Italy
    Thank you! There’s always a good reason to buy a Stingray :)

mouthmw likes this.
  10. I got some sweet BE action on my ‘78 Ray using LaBella White Nylon tapes.
    I’ve gone all Denman of late and fitted Slinky 40s. Different niceness.

Phat Nick likes this.
  11. It certainly has that pokey mid punch flats can give.
    I was listening to the Bros J on the way to my gig last night. Killer. I dig singing along..!

Phat Nick likes this.
  12. Jigmay

Jigmay

Mar 24, 2004
    Haligonia
    I've just been through this journey for my soul/disco/funk band. Aiming for that B Edwards tone using my Old Smoothie. It came stock with EB Slinkys so I took them off and have tried:
    GHS Brite Flats: great sound, punchy, clear high end, smooth feel, but kinda stiff and I wanted to hear more mids.
    GHS Pressure Wounds: muscular, tight sound, punchy, but a little stiff feeling.
    Fender flats (new version): great feeling string but too wanted more mids.
    EB Slinkys: went back to the stock strings because they feel so good under my fingers and they have the mids and growl I wanted. Here's the thing though, using the mutes I can get REALLY close to that BE tone. In a live setting it's great.
    EB Cobalt Flats: I have a set but haven't tried these yet. A great feeling string ( I took the time to clean the strings first. There's a video that was posted here by a guy who does this 3-step process to clean the EB flats and it was worth the time. They're extremely smooth and pliable in a good way).

The Old Smoothie: Have to take a second to say this is a great instrument that doesn't get a lot of props. My first MusicMan. I didn't like the active 2-band eq, but with time I have figured it out. Add the mutes and I now call it the MOST VERSATILE bass I own. The neck on this instrument is the best I own.

Phat Nick likes this.
  13. Jigmay

Jigmay

Mar 24, 2004
    Haligonia
    @PhatNick
    Wow...great playing, great tone. Maybe I should try those Cobalts now!

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Phat Nick likes this.
  14. Phat Nick

Phat Nick

Mar 14, 2018
    Italy
    Thank you :) on the video I’m using Optima R&B flats...great feel,but I’d like to try also something brighter,and reading some comments here,I can give a try to Ernie Ball Flats

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021