1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Latency When Using Tracks

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mpm32, Jan 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    Our typical set-up involves our drummer running our tracks.

He has a mixer; tracks go from the iPad to his mixer. He gets a direct feed from the mixer with track and click to his IEMs and sends another line with the track to the board which feeds our IEM mixes.

At our last gig we had to do something a little different. This resulted in him hearing both the direct feed and the feed that we get. He said he noticed a latency between the two.

This is interesting as there are times when I know I am locked in with him (I watch his kick to verify) but I feel like I am off the track a hair. This is bothersome because I wonder how it comes across FOH.

Anyone experience this? I suggested as a fix that both the click and track go to the board and he gets them back the same way that we do in our IEM mixes. That way we are all on the same feed.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    This (in my experience) is ABSOLUTELY the way to do it. It will remove ANY latency between the two and you'll ALL be listening to the same mix.
    It also lets you (or anyone else) put the click in their ears - should they want it.
    Just make sure that the CLICK is not routed to FOH :)

Geri O, Microbass and mmon77 like this.
  3. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    Lol, thanks. Most of the soundguys we work with won't send the click to FOH, others, who knows.

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    yeah, I know.. it's one of those "oops" things that CAN happen when the band/drummer monitors the click from the FOH feed, versus off their own mixer.
    One other approach could be to send the IEM mix to the drummers mixer, and leave the click the way it is.
    So iPad to mixer along with everything else. Drummers IEM mix to HIS mixer, click to his mixer only.
    It's what my bands last drummer used to do. :)
    NO danger of the click EVER going to FOH, but then drummer is the only one able to hear it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Geri O likes this.
  5. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    At our last gig, we went from iPad to a two channel DI>to the board. Drummer got the same mix as we did with track included.

From the first song, what a difference! In previous gigs, drummer and I have been feeling out of sorts, not as tight as we have been in other bands. This fixed it. I was certainly noticing the latency. Now once again we're locked like a clock.

s0c9 likes this.
  6. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Cool.. glad you got it sorted !! :)

Geri O and mpm32 like this.