1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Latency workaround?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Zvonimir, Jul 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Zvonimir

Zvonimir

Jul 24, 2016
    Hello. So after taking a few blind tests, I realized that I don't need mic-ed bass and DI is just fine.

So I got a nice interface (Fast Track C600) and plugged my bass to record. The "Latency" is the new terminology I learn. OK, google... Got it. ASIO! But whatever tweaks I try, that echo is still unbearable and throws me off. And my interface would not let me hear what I'm playing before the signal reaches the computer.

So here is what I am wondering. There must be some small and very simple device that splits my active bass signal and lets me hear what I'm playing through headphones. Is there such a thing? Shall I get geeky and make one?

2. Look in the user manual under "direct monitoring." It would be a feature of the recording software you use if it's using the ASIO protocol standard.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Also you could adjust the sample buffer. It may default to 512 so push it down to 64 or so

4. Zvonimir

Zvonimir

Jul 24, 2016
    Thanks, guys! So I nearly killed myself trying to get this to work. I played around with ASIO and the DAW's and read internet forums for days.... Could never get an acceptably fast sound reproduction through headphone monitoring and trying to record that way killed all inspiration. I tried it with Adobe Audition and also the free Audacity... Everything failed.

Then I upgraded my DAW to Pro Tools last night and found it had no latency to speak of. I didn't even change the buffer size and even with the default 512, it has no latency!
    What's going on here? How did Pro Tools magically fix this for me?

5. kbr

kbr Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Oviedo, Fl
    That's ASIO Direct Monitoring at work. There'll be no percievable latency for most people. Whatever your recording doesn't go through the DAW first. Instead, it comes straight out of the interface and to your speakers / headphones. The only downside is that you can't monitor with effects this way.