Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

latency

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by CAM, Mar 16, 2004.

1. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    heya!

Ive read...well, glimpsed at the faq thread, but i really only have one question, and its pretty specific.

Is there a product that someones tried or owns that produces zero latency? I really dont want to spend hundreds of pounds on something that promises "low latency" only to find its *****!

Ive found Firewire Audiophile made by M-Audio. Anyone had any experience with it?

Thanks for your time,

Peace and Love and Un-i-ty

CAM

2. Zero-latency is very tricky... As you decrease the latency time, the PC's CPU has to work harder to process the incoming digital sound and so you wind up with low latency but high CPU use, causing problems elsewhere.

Sound on Sound PC guy Martin Walker's articles on latency are very helpful in explaining this kind of thing. http://sound-on-sound2.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=frm&s=215094572&f=514099644

I believe that Firewire latency will be a lot better than USB1. USB2 may be just as fast (or faster) than Firewire. The MAudio Firewire cards certainly look very good...

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The only thing where you can get REAL zero latency is with monitoring the inputs, all other stuff is with at least minimal latency. Pro gear like RME soundcards gets as low as 1.5-3 ms.

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    my new Emu 1820M has some nice low lat.

f

5. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    Thanks for the link MKS!