Latin Best of...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 20, 2007.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

How about Bachatas, Baladas, Rumba, Mambo, Mariachi, and Merengue?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

For a great performer of both bachatas and merengues, check out Juan Luis Guerra & 440. Actually, the only Merengue performer that really worths listening nowadays IMO.

Wilfrido Vargas was for a long time the "king of Merengue", but don't pay attention to his current work. He was the king in the eighties and in the first half of the nineties kept his popularity, but then he faded away. Currently, he's trying to resurface, but his latest efforts are pure crap. Recommended songs from him: "Abusadora" y "El Hombre Divertido".

For Mambo, nobody can surpass its creator: Pérez Prado.

"Balada" is the name given to modern romantic songs in Spanish and there are LOTS of artists (singers) that have succeeded in this genre. Spanish singers from the 70's are some of the best examples, and Nino Bravo was the best for me (and I'm sure many people agree). Unfortunately, he died in a car accident when he was at the peak of his popularity.

3. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    A recent balada performer is Chayanne. I love his stuff, and so does my girlfriend.

Juanes is also very catchy. I'd say they're more poppy performers though.

4. Check out Cal Tjader's ablum Soul Sauce. Best latin mambo jazz ever.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Juanes is a metal player/singer that sold his soul to the Grammys.

6. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Metal!?
    I saw him performing on TV, and I didn't think it was metal at all.

7. A latin style I like a lot is Axe (ashey) music from Salvador da Bahia, Brazil. It sounds like a mix between samba, ska/reaggae and merengue and is very energetic. Try bands like Olodum and Banda Cheiro de Amor and Banda Eva.

Cheers Rody

btw a really nice album to start on the salsa/merengue angle while remaining in familiar territory is the cd "Tropical tribute to the Beatles". All Beatles songs performed in a latin version by renowned Latin artists. Not for purists!

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

That was long ago, Mark. He got national recognition with his first band called Ekhymosis playing metal originals and covers (Metallica included, IIRC). He started softening his style when realized that he sold more records that way, and the Grammys made him completely forget his metal roots.

9. I can't believe noone has mentioned Michael Camilo! for latin jazz that is. Check out the record 'Rendevouz'.

For pure salsa, check out:
    el gran combo
    willie colon
    hector lavoe
    ruben blades*

*you have GOT to hear 'pedro navaja' ...it's one of the most grooving tunes ever. it's the story about a 3 minute mishap between a mugger, a hooker and a passer-byer drunk described on a 7 minute tune.

edit: oops, Alvaro, just noticed you DID mention Michel. Sorry.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

:)

Actually, "Pedro Navaja" is the latin version of "Mack The Knife" and it's also one of the best examples of this practice. One of the best Salsa arrangements I've found in my life. The arranger (trumpet player Luis "Perico" Ortiz IIRC) cleverly and tastefully created pretty cool harmonies with just a 3-trombone ensemble in the band's brass section.

11. rtjohn

rtjohn Low Frequency Soundscape Generator

Feb 19, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Its not surpirsing to hear of a girl liking Latin music. The clave makes their hips move and thus makes the guys happy too. ;)

There is more than just Latin music with that groove though.
    Try some modern Afro beat like:

Antibalas
    Akoya Afrobeat Orchestra

or go for more diluted but still interesting Latin like:

Thievery Corporation or early Santana

12. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    ahh I see!
    Thank you :) I never knew that.

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Purism aside, I always saw that album as an strictly commercial offering from the RMM (Ralph Mercado Management) organization. Well done, but really hateable IMO. For Beatles songs with latin arrangements, this one is a much more honest effort to me.

14. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I mentioned Michel Camilo and those others, too! (Post 9)
    Mi favorito es "One More Once". "Triangulo" is pretty sweet, too.

Also, just got "Spain Again" by Michel and Tomatito. Check out Tomatito's breakdown in "From Within". He does the same figure that Anthony Jackson does in the Calle 54 version. I'm not sure if Tomatito copped it from AJ or vice versa. It's possible that they're just playing what Michel wrote!

When I lived in Lawrence, KS I used to play with a band called Son Venezuela and we did tons of Blades and Fania stuff. Buscando Guayaba, Idilio, Dime, El Raton, Sin Tu Carino and Todos Vuelven were our 'standards'. Love that stuff so much. Those bass parts are bad! :cool:

15. Órale Vato's,
    Check out Snowboy & The Latin Section. It's a cat from the U.K., DJ turned conga player. Check out song's "Carga tu Bateria" and " Ven Rumbero" Very cool stuff!
    Bobbo 77'

16. For Merengue check out Sergio Vargas (awesome Bass player)

For latin/tropical
    Luis Felipe Gonzales
    Cheo Feliciano
    Roberto Roena.

Edit:
    Oh I forgot, there's some fussion ocurring right now in Colombia, so several bands are mixing rhythms and instruments from the Colombian pacific coast with more modern music (Electronic, Hip-Hop etc.) I am a Metal Head but I would reccomend the following:
    Choc Quib Town http://www.myspace.com/chocquibtown
    Side Stepper http://www.sidestepper.com/blog/

Hope you like it.

17. steeleyes

steeleyes

Apr 5, 2008
    I agree with Alviro; Fania All Stars is a good start but there are so many that you can listen to, to get a good feel for latin music that are not even considered latin players.
    Return to Forevers My Spinish Hearts is a go jazz CD that has many different latin styles flowing under the banner of fussion. "Still Life Talking", "Letters from Home", & Seceret Stories" by the Pat Metheny Group are just a few. But to be honest the best thing to do is just turn on the radio and tune to a spanish station. I am from NYC so all you have to do is go to the beach or park or like I said turn on the radio to hear many different latin styles. If you live in the mid-west the it will mostly be Tex-Mex style.
    Youve posed a really tough question here.
    Just start listing also listen to your girls CD's that might help.
    Steel

18. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    You guys should check this band out...
    HABANA ABIERTA
    These guys mostly Cubans i think,they have really cool music.....
    They still have the Latin flavor but mix with many other styles...ex funk,jazz,rock.

19. hermosotrozo

hermosotrozo

Dec 16, 2008
    there are many Latin artists who are worth listening to, for example Ruben Blades.. he is a legend as far as latin jazz is concerned. and if you want to impress her with something new then i would suggest you to go for 'Luba Mason' she is wife of rubens blade and she is coming up with new album called 'Krazy Love'...i am sure your girlfriends gonna love it. you can listen to a few songs on her Myspace.
    http://www.myspace.com/lubamason