1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LATIN MUSIC...WHAT BASS DO YOU USE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bubinga5, Oct 22, 2010.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Anyone have any experience in playing Latin music? If so what bass do you use...i hate to ask such a subjective question but is there any bass IYO that wouldnt work for this style...

Im in a quandry if i should swap my CS LTD jazz for a Modulus VJ4...the Modulus seems to lack in the mids...

2. Maybe something in fiesta red?

kidding aside,mids could always be added by amp could they not?

MMiller28 likes this.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Anything growly works best, IMO.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Lotsa Mexicans and Latinos in my area in houston. Lots of them play latino music along with whatever other kinds they like. Seen em buying and useing BC Rich, ESP Ltd, Ibanez, Fender, Schecter, and various more boutique type basses to. Theres none I can think of that wouldnt work just fine. So long as its voices goes well with the rest if the band. Wether brash and arrogant or more subdued. Course most of the Mexicans & Latinos around here do more the party music latin style. Some have even mixed in some house or trance electronica music elements their stuff. As far as more traditional style latino music. Again any bass liked can work just fine. Imo.

5. A jazz would be perfect. I don't play latin music regularly but every time we did in my old jazz ensemble it was with a j bass or a j-esque bass with the bridge pup on full. What does the Modulus have that your LTD doesn't? If you're thinking about a new bass I think a Fender American Deluxe would fit perfectly. Every single one I've tried was awesome. The one I'm selling is pricier because of mods but you can get one for $1100 (for the pre-2010 ones) or a bit less pretty easily.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Pretty much any bass will do.

bluesblaster and MMiller28 like this.
  7. BassMax23

BassMax23

Oct 16, 2009
    I play my Marleaux (http://www.marleaux-bass.de/), works very good ;). Deep bass and growly mids I think that´s what you need for latin.

8. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I have to point this out - "Latin" music is not a style. Are you talking Afro-Cuban (son, cha cha cha, mambo, timba, etc.), Brazilian (sambas of various kinds, afoxé, choro, etc.), Afro-Peruvian (lando, festejo, etc.) , Colombian (vallenato, cumbia, etc.)...? Having said that, many people automatically think "Cuba" when the term "Latin" music is mentioned. The bass sound a lot of people associate with, for example, salsa is that of the Ampeg Baby Bass. If you're talking about bass guitar, I would imagine that there is no more an ideal bass for Cuban music than there is for North American music.

BazzaBass likes this.
  9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    A lot of the old school Latin guys used to play Ampegs, both the uprights (Zorko and Baby) and AEB-1 and the like. Tobias/Gibson Growlers seem to be popular these days.

10. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    DITTO

I played in a Salsa/Merengue band for years and I used everything from Modulus, Yamaha, Fender, Lakland and Stingray. What ever is your sound. I will say that you need to cut through pretty well on stage, in that setting I'm the drummer so everyone needs to hear me. Always be nice to the sound guys because they will help you in the monitor mix if you need it.

I wish we played more of the cumbia stuff, that seems to be catching on with the reggeton stuff out there.

If you're interested in getting more understanding there is a great book/CD called "The Latin Bass Book" by Oscar Stagnaro that will walk you through a lot of the different montuno and tumbao styles. I'm Latin and grew up playing music and it helped me a ton.

11. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Kwesi i got GAS as you may know...ive always wanted a VJ4 Modulus...looks were a big factor...i have it on trial trade so just checking it out...Totally different....i wanted a quality active bass as i love urban gospel too...does that very well...its worlds apart when it comes to the comfort and playability...nothing ive played is as playable as a Modulus..but it does lose warmth...putting some nickles on to counteract that a little..

12. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    +1. Oscar Stagnaro is the man! He is incredibly knowledgeable about various styles of Latin music. For the record, he is currently a Warwick endorser.

Chuck M likes this.
  13. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Bass12..you sound like a man who knows his Latin....Salsa is very much what we play but most of the stuff is original so has no set style... Latin/Funk/Soul is pretty much what we do... take from that what you will..;)

Ive been listening to funk soul jazz and hip hop for 25 years and they are all styles..ok there are variants but its still a style...i appreciate your knowledge but Latin IS a style....just like jazz... i really cant see why Latin is not a style of music?

14. +1 Bobby Vlaentin plays an ampeg Scroll and he's one of my favorite salsa bass players

15. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    A stolen one ?????:bag:

Just kidding ....... relax !!!

16. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I would NOT agree with that statement. There is Rock En Espanol, Latin Jazz, Salsa, Timba, Mariachi, etc. You can not lump that into one style of music.

Essentially there are many styles of music with in the Spanish Speaking world but not all AFRO Cuban based. I would not fit into a Norteno Band just because I can play Samba. What ever style is in Western Music there is usually a Spanish Language version of it in addition to the Afro Cuban, Tropical, Bachata (which is super hot right now), Cumbia and so on. There is no way to label one style as being "Latin".

Bass12, Oscar is the man. All that stuff with Paquito was super sick. I found this on youtube the other day from 2009 with Vanessa Rodriguez, his solo is great but the true magic is the funk/swing that he brings at the end of the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGdGw_s1u20&feature=related

17. I get the best results in the Norteño band I play in on the weekends with my SR500 Ibanez. It just fits better and I can dial in pretty much anything I need tone-wise. I'm the only Paddy in the group, so I want to be less obvious and the Ibby is a little stealthier than a flashy Fender.

We don't play any Banda - so there's no reason to go with a lot of distortion and echo or slap-back/delay either.

I also play a lot of Tex-Mex and the Ibby fits right in.

I save my Fenders for Surf-Rock and Motown though. There they fit better I feel.

18. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    does everything have to be dissected into sub styles?? Latin is a style. Funk is a style, i know 5 different types of funk..5 different styles of Hip Hop, god knows how many styles of Rock..

it depends what you call a style! any one on the street would understand a style as they know it...as most people do... as certain broad style...just because you may obviously know every aspect and the differences between them...

im well aware of music and its sub genres..ive been listening to them for 36 years...OK...as most know it Latin has a certain feel and sound as a general feel...thats it...i didnt want the history of Latin music...

like i said i appreciate the knowledge but get of your musical high horse...i get it bro...;)

i feel like i asked what a white man was..."oh but there are so many types"???

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I agree with the opinion that almost any bass can do it fine in a tropical music setting (assuming that's what you mean with "Latin"). I just have three remarks:

1. If you plan to play modern Dominican Merengue (say, stuff from mid 90s on), a 5-string bass is a must. That's the only reason why I don't bring my beloved Steinberger XL2 to tropical gigs more often.

2. You won't believe how great the Peavey T-40 works for playing old-school tropical stuff (from 60s & 70s).

3. I know that almost anything can be done with EQ, strings and touch, but I'd never bring my Rickenbacker 4003 to a tropical music gig (actually, none of my bandmates have seen it). Tonewise, that's not the "spirit" of the instrument IMO.

20. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    That's funny - Vanessa is actually a good friend of mine. It was through her that I got to meet Oscar on a couple of occasions. :)