LDS cabinets.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 73jbass, Aug 19, 2009.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Ok folks,I know there are quite a few of you with these cabinets,and from what I've read,everybody seems pretty happy with them.I just got off the phone with Don,and I think I'm going with a sealed 6x10,no tweeter.I wanted to get the tone of my Ampeg Classic 810 in a smaller and lighter package,so we talked about drivers,ported,sealed,etc.. September 1st,it looks like I'll be calling him to get the ball rolling.What really stunned me was the price. A LOT less than I was expecting! Looks like a can't loose deal. Anybody that has Dons cabinets,I'd love to hear about your over all impressions of his work. Thanks!!

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    LDS is top shelf with a very reasonable quick build time with excellent communication. I'd definitely order from him again.

3. My quote really floored me too. Just can't pull the trigger yet.... and it's killing me!

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Don is the man. It shocks me that people keep buying mid-priced cabinets when they can get stuff from Don at the same price with superior pretty much everything :)

Very, very few cabinet vendors out there doing anything Don can't top for a lot less.

5. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Nice guy to deal with. And builds great cabs at a reasonable price.

'Nuff said.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've had 10 of his cabs now I think, trying different things.
    I still have four. I've probably got two more things to try with him off the top of my head.
    His craftmanship is top flight, as is his customer service.

I'm pretty sure there's been another sealed 610 of his taled about here, but I can't remember who commissioned it.

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Hey Geni; change yer sig....slacker.

8. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    10 cabs? Wow! I am already considering a 2nd cab after the 610 gets done. I want to do a vertical 2x12 similar to the GB,to use where stage space is a premium.I play on quite a few of those,so that would be ideal. I'm curious as to which cabs you have,and their sound quality. Repeat business is a good sign of good customer service! Don even said that if I didn't like it,he would buy it back. I don't see how I couldn't take him up on it.

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I'm sure I won't remember them all, but...
    Started with a small format regular driver 2x8.
    Added a bigger boxed, long throw driver 2x8+5 (still have that).
    Tried a 5x8, one of which was a whizzer cone. Flipped.
    Modded a SWR BBII with long throw 8's. Flipped the amp, kept the speakers, built:
    2x8+horn.
    Mod'd an SWR Silverado 4x8 with long throw 8's. Kept the drivers, flipped the amp; built
    4x8+horn.
    Tried 2x12+horn. Loved the concept, flipped it anyway.
    Got a 2x12+2x6. Still have it.
    Tried one of the new 15/6.5's; flipped it.

I know there's more in there.

Next:
    15/6.5+horn
    1x8+mid driver+horn

10. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

I've got two now and a combo amp that Don re-worked for me (2-new 10's, added tweeter and rear ported the cab). No issues what so ever! Great communication all through the transaction and Don delivers on time. LDS is a stand-up business and Don is a stand-up guy.

I would not go or look anywhere else for cabinets.

oh... did i mention the exceptional value?

11. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    There you go!

I get the impression that Don is truely concerned about how the bass playing community views him. Not in a paranoid way, but I think he wants to be respected for his work.

I also get the impression that he loves his work and takes great pride in it. A "true craftsman", if you will.

And lastly I get the impression that he understands that most gigging players really can't afford boutique prices.

You add up those three things and you get a great cabinet maker with great customer service. (I may be selling my LDS cabs, but that does NOT reflect the quality and sound of the cabs. I'm just a gear slut.) I would not hesitate to have Don build me a cab.

12. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I have a 112/horn cab that Don built for me and I am totally satisfied. Really, he can build any type of cab your mind can think of for alot less than your typical " boutique " cab makers. Plus, he's a player and a nice guy to deal with, especially over the phone. IMHO, you can't go wrong.

13. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Hey! Mind yer own beeswax!! :eyebrow:

(Just have to wait until the payment hits my PayPal.)

It's going to be tough packing that 15/6.5 up and sending it away. :crying:

14. +1. Don is a good guy, and I am lucky enough to live close to him. I've been serving as a 'test ear' recently. Here's a couple of recent pictures of Don with a couple of the 15/6 cabs. The reason I'm posting up (besides the fact that some might be interested in seeing what Don looks like!) is that these two pictures do a pretty good job of showing the various looks that Don can produce... a very modern, boutique spray on metal grill sort of thing, or WAY old school vintage cloth and tolex. Pretty cool!

LDSGB156.gif

don4.gif

15. I have a 15/6.5 cab with a 2u rackspace on top, and I'm loving it. I'd agree that Don's work is top notch, and he called me numerous times about specific details regarding my cab. Don always answered my questions as well. Although I don't think I need another cab, I also wouldn't hesitate to order from him again. Maybe for a rehearsal cab next time... :help:

16. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

can't wait to get mine !!! :D

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021