Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Learnt Jazzbo's Material, Anyone Help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MMSterling, Mar 2, 2004.

1. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    First of all thanks to Jazzbo for producing such a great article! Secondly onto my main question. I have learnt all that there is in this article, the major/minor scales, 3rd/7th chords, and the major/minor pentatonic scales.

Whats the best way of practicing all this stuff? I'm not talking about scale exercises here, I thinking more along the lines of applying this knowledge and writing little licks/solo's with it. Can you guys give me some good starting points!

Andy :)

Much Appreciated!

2. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    That thread looks like it will make some goooood reading for me at this stage of trying to finally get a grasp on theory. If anyone else has anything more to add please please do so!

Thanks Wrong Robot!

Andy :)

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My answer is to play Jazz!! ;)

I played in pop/rock bands for decades where I never used any theory really - but in a few months of playing Jazz, I got more of this in my head than I had in the previous twenty years!!

5. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Thanks again you too, Adam Nitti's site looks great, I'll be checking out a lot of those lessons! It seems that rock doesn't use much theory to me as well mate! I've been in around 4 rock bands over the three years I've been playing and I've always been able to write adequate basslines without knowing all that much theory. So it would be nice to see how everything applies to music and basslines in Jazz.

Andy

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ