Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

leaving for boot camp

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by volumefiend, Jul 11, 2005.

1. see you all! im leaving for Navy basic real soon for 9 weeks. wish me luck.

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Good luck dude... see you in 9 weeks

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt.

4. Good luck sailor...

5. scottz0369

scottz0369

Mar 1, 2005
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Good luck, shipmate. The Navy is a proud service with a strong sense of history and tradition. Remember that boot camp will probably be the hardest thing you do in the military (unless you become a Corpsman with a Marine unit). If you get out to 29 Palms for some crazy reason, look me up--3rd Light Armored Reconaissance Bn. I'll be there in October, then to somewhere hotter and sandier in Feb--I'll be easy to spot, I'll have an acoustic bass with me.

Adopt the Navy's core values as your own, and you'll go far in life, in or out of the Navy.

Semper Fi
    Scott Zaehler
    GySgt USMC
    Infantryman, 18 years

Not in the Navy, but have almost 4 years of sea time.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!

ow, wait, that was a Marine recruting slogan.. ;)

Good luck

7. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I salute you! Thank you for defending our country and God bless, and keep you safe.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Congrats!

:)

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Congrats and thanks for your service, send a cruise missle to OBL for me! :p

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Have you picked your rating yet? I am sure the recruiter talked you in to going in for some particular field. Be aware that you can sometimes change ratings (job training) after you are already in basic. My sons best friend went in to be a STS and became a PC in stead.

I went in and did ET school. THen ended up cross-rating over to HM and working with Marines and SEALs. It's a weird world, sometimes.

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Best of luck to you. :)

12. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    Best of luck to you.

And not to hijack your thread or anything, but...

Gy. Zaehler, were you in Al Anbar province last fall? I was over there with 3/1 and seem to remember 3rd LAR running around doing their thing. Was also thinking we may have left 29 about the same time. We were there to uptrain as provisional truck drivers (Artillerymen originally) and stayed down by the 1st Tanks chow hall. Was thinking 3rd LAR staged in that parking lot saying bye to family and all. Could be wrong, but it's a small Marine Corps.

Semper Fi,
    Cpl Todd
    HQ Btry 2/14

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh dang! I just watched the Navy SEALS BUDS training series on the Military Channel last night. It was four hours long, and I could not believe the stuff those guys went through. 83 guys started, and 21 finished.

I hope you make it through the boot camp!

-Mike

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'll see you out in the fleet shipmate.

15. That's all you need to know. :)

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Sorry to disappoint you folks but navy boot camp these days is watered down to accomodate the weakest of the weak and the dumbest of the dumb (just like everything else these days it seems).

I get sailors fresh out of recruit training who couldn't do double their age in push ups or run a mile and half in under 11:00

It is up to the individual to go beyond what the Navy expects. And I have a feeling that volumefiend will be one of those hard charging sailors.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    All the best, man. Good luck, and remember that 9 weeks isn't really all that long. Where are you going to basic?

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good luck dude and be careful. :)

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Good luck and keep safe. We'll spin this one for ya:

[​IMG]

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Take good care of yourself and thanks for serving in defense of America.