1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Left hand/arm/wrist help

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Gobias, May 21, 2012.

1. Gobias

Gobias

May 21, 2012
    Hello everyone! I'm a 23 year old soon to be jazz student from Norway. I've been playing the electric bass since I was 11, but am currently focusing on upright bass.

For the last year or so, I have been developing my right hand (jazz pizzicato) technique with good results time and sound wise. My left hand/wrist/arm technique, however, Is a disaster. My main problem is using my wrist/ the weight of my arm properly. I've trying to read some about this issue, but I find it hard to understand what I'm supposed to be doing without any video demonstration. Does anyone on this fine forum have a link to a video containing such?

I need a better idea of how to supply my fingers with the weight of my arm.

I would love to hear from you!

Sincerly,

Gobias

2. I hardly use my arm weight - that just locks me up with big muscles that are a bother to move around. Granted, when trying to compete with a jazz group accoustically, I'd probably use my arm weight because you're pulling the strings much harder compared to bowing (I mostly bow).

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Try sitting. You can get a better sense of arm weight that way.

4. +1000
    Sit down, man!

5. I stand when I play, and I often exploit the weight of the bass as opposed to the weight of my arm. That is, the bass leans slightly forward, or I use leverage of my body to push the bass/string into my fingers, rather than try to pull the string down with my arm/fingers.