1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

left hand index callouses

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by meta, Apr 2, 2009.

1. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    I have just recently started playing bass (2 months). and I find that my whole index finger (well, on the outside towards the thumb and to the center) is calloused. quite different than when I used to just play guitar.

The question is: Is this normal or does it indicate a flaw in my technique? I play both pick and fingerstyle, and often sing at the same time. So maybe my singing means that I'm not as precise as I could be - I'm usually just trying to lock with the drummer, and then start singing, which means my fills aren't quite as good as they would be if I wasn't singing (which I don't do every song) but so what. My reasoning was that as long as I can groove with the drummer it will sound good even with fairly simple bass lines (which I'ver reverted to while singing... either that or I play rock chords on the d and g strings, and sometimes on the a and d strings, mixed in with root notes and their pentatonics), and I think it does.... but do the callouses indicate that I need work on my technique? When I "first" started playing the bass (which was just a little bit longer than not very long ago lol) I never sang, but still had a bit more callous on my index finger of the left hand, but nothing like it is now...

and is it normal to play more simple lines if you are singing at the same time? Obviously I should play the bass line I want to play while still singing, but it will take some practice I guess. I find it more difficult than just playing guitar and singing as I find it so much more important to lock with the drummer and be groovy... wheras while playing guitar I could just push or pull at my leasure and it wouldn't matter as I could always find it again. But it's catastrophic to the song If I lose it while playing bass...

any thoughts?

cheers,

meta

2. I think thats fairly normal, my index is pretty callused although more towards the middle finger side. It's shedding atm actually... DSCF2029.

3. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    lol

great pic!

4. tobie

tobie

Nov 26, 2008
    Nice to read this whilst the finger pads on both my hands are so tender I'm scared the skin is going to come off if I rub them too hard against each other...;)

5. Today band practice was cancelled, so I have lots of free time.
    [​IMG]

6. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I've some pretty odd callouses on my fret hand - I think it's pretty normal :p

7. gonzilla

gonzilla

Jan 26, 2009
    Hm, I was actually happy when I switched from guitar to bass and all my calluses disappeared. Sometimes the fingers on my right hand toughen up, but I never get left hand calluses anymore.

8. dont stress dude- youre fine. i dont play guitar- though my brother does- and all his callouses are on the finger tips- little ovals. makes sense that the left index callouses radiate toward the thumb- as the grip is a bit off center.

clayman- i think the virgin mary or the ghost of mr bill just appeared on your fingers- seek small- local- cable news station.