1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Left handed P-Bass pickups??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rilander, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    Hi first post here. ok i just bought a left handed 2010 american p-bass. and i plan on upgrading the pickups. will the right handed pups work with the lefty if i switch em around? :help:

2. There is no such thing as a right or left handed pickup, unless the pole pieces are staggered, in which case, you would just flip the pickup around.

3. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    awesome. great news. thx man. now it's just the decision of what pups to chose :ninja:

4. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
  5. Madcity Fats

Madcity Fats Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Can't speak for the Quarter Pounders, but the Dimarzio Model P is a superb pickup, IMO.

Mileage may vary and all that ...

6. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    I have Quarter Pounders in my MIM P, they sound great. Fat and punchy. I don't think you can go wrong with those or Dimarzios.

D

7. jonnymac

jonnymac Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Guess its too late to make a left-handed screwdriver joke :bag:

8. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
  9. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Any particular reason you want to change pups? Being a 2010, I would imagine that they are in pretty good shape.

10. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    I'm going to assume the P-bass you bought was an American Standard model...and not an AV in which case I would say stay stock. Well, I'd say stock anyway, but.....

I find the American Standard P-Bass pickups to be Fenders version of a QP....so I think switching to them would be more of the same. Both excellent pickups, which makes me think maybe......

Your desire to make a change has roots in a more vintage sounding P-Bass desire perhaps.

Then a worthy change......emphasis on change,not upgrade-because the stock pup is excellent......would be to a SPB-1, Antiquity II or Fralin.

If the stock pickup isn't ballsy enough for you then maybe an SPB-2 or an active pickup.

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    huh?

they're way different, with the QP having giant magnets and a good bit more wire, for a much louder output and an agressive tone.

the american standard P, like all fender's american standard pickups, is a bread-and-butter "stock" vintage-type pickup, except not quite as nice as it's wound on a plastic bobbin, which insulates the magnets from the wire, arguably losing a little something from the extra gap between wire and magnet.

not bad pickups, but IMO the one place those otherwise excellent basses could benefit from an upgrade.

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Seymour duncans for little more power and little more treble content then the Dimarzios. A little bit more aggressive crunchy sound to. Dimarzio's for the traditional fender pup upgrade for more articulation and bit more output then stock pups.

13. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    yeah it's an american standard p bass lefty. i got the black with the rosewood fretboard. and i got a brown tortoise shell looking pick guard that i'm going to put on it. sweetness :ninja:

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I have a left handed hammer and a left handed screw driver ... just kidding.

15. kupervaser

kupervaser

Jan 23, 2006
    Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but maybe someone still reads this. I would like to replace pickups in my Fender p Bass guitar because they broke. I've searched a bit online and I think I should go either for DIMarzio DP122BK or SEYMOUR DUNCAN SPB-2.

I need a bit more output than I used to have with the stock pickups. I play in a heavy doom/sludge band ala Cathedral, Down, Electric Wizard, Crowbar, High on Fire. Any idea what pickup I should choose? Thanks in advance,