Left pinky finger?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BertBert, Jun 8, 2004.

1. BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    I've begun to notice that when I play and I am not fretting a note with the pinky finger of my left hand, that finger tends to stick straight out. (I play right-handed, by the way.) There are three reasons I am concerned about this. One, I've read that you should keep your all the fingers of the left hand (except the thumb) very close to the fretboard when playing to make it easier to fret with the pinky if needed. Two, now that I notice myself doing it I am looking at other bass players and NOBODY I've seen sticks their pinky out, so I'm inclined to think this is something I shouldn't be doing. Three, it kinda looks stupid, like I am sipping a cup of tea or something.

So, is having your pinky finger stick out when you play a bad thing? If so, how do you correct it?
  2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'm in the same boat as you, trying to keep my fingers close to the fretboard. It just takes boatloads of practice.

Also, check out www.handhealth.com and click on the hands to check out some insane finger dexterity exercises. I'm working on the one called "pencil push-ups" to increase my ring finger strength and independance. I highly recommend this site.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im half and half. It only sticks out a little. I use it a good amount but its still my weakest finger.
  4. Maybe you could put that flying pinky to use. Hang something on it?
  5. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I rarely use my ring finger - thus, my pinky rarely sticks out because I use the pinky so often.
  6. it get some time to get it down but try practicing lines such as

1st fret Index 2nd fret middle 3rd fret ring 4th pinky

after that alternate
    1324 1324

always keeping one finger per fret

you'll eventually build you fingers independance and it'll be worth it.
  7. i do the exact same thing....
  8. sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003
    Maybe these will make you feel better...

[​IMG]<br />[​IMG]

9. BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    They sure do, except now I really want that guy's bass... :bassist:
  10. sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003
    Well you'd better start saving. ;)