Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leland Sklar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Dec 15, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Just incase you missed it or were wondering

[​IMG]

It nice to see proof after seeing him in those yamaha adds for a decidably iffy amp (not saying its bad just don't think it would work in a stadium)

Anyway I just found it kinda funny :D

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    He also stumps for Yamaha basses, but I always see him playing Dingwalls...

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well he does have a couple of yammy's now and he used yammy's mainly through the 80's, but the dingwall is his main bass. Also that round thing next to the nl210 on the other side of Leland is a yammy sub-kick microphone infront of a cxl112.

I just liked the whole pictures kinda "We Told Ya" sorta vibe

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That´s good to see. I was really surprised when I saw him in that Yamaha ad. Yamaha and EA are hardly in the same league.

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I find it funny that the arrows just seems to be pointing at a dark spot on the drum riser...

But I'll go ahead and assume there's a stealthy EA back there :smug:

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree. While I was somewhat surprised to see the ad, I am not at all surprised to see Mr. Sklar playing EA when it counts! :D

It still doesn't seem quite right, though, to see Phil out in front of the drums. ;)

Tom.

7. Yamaha can't be happy about this after presumably paying for an endorsement of its product...

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I have a feeling Yamaha reused his picture from a bass endorsement. Or that he tried to sign up for a Yamaha endorsement but EA still had a legal contract with him.

His sound out front is probably coming from a DI so it doesn't matter much what he's using on stage.

I think the new Yamaha head is actually very good. I hope more manufacturers come out with programmable presets.

9. It looks like some of his sound is comming from the EA. TaySte_2000 pointed out the sub-kick mic on his cxl112. Leland or the sound guys must want the EA sound. :)

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Read it again

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    So we don't actually know what we hear out front. But I bet it's DI, sound people seem to prefer DI when they can get it.

13. Good point, I've, never had a sound guy want to mic up my amp...even the old fliptop portoflex...

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I'd guess it is a blend of the two, what you have to remember here is Leland Sklar isn't just a session bassist to Phil Collins they've been working together since the 80's so I'm sure the sound man is actually quite helpful in giving them both what they want.

But I don't think either EA or the Groove Tubes Brick have much effect on the mans tone, it just oozes outta him :D

15. ..or perhaps the brick is a DI for the sub-kick...

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=2084

"5. Make your guitar, bass, keyboard, or less expensive dynamic microphone sound better - the transformer balanced tube circuitry are the keys for proper matching to your instrument."

... or perhaps it doesn't matter. He says he likes the sound it gives him on stage and that's what matters to him and the rest of the band as they are playing. He likes his sound, he plays better...he plays better, the band is tighter.

16. Yep, tone comes from the fingers first.

17. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

I'm pretty sure his tone comes from the beard

:cool:

18. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    :D:D:D

19. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    That's why I don't put much behind endorsements until I see them use it live.

20. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

That man has a warehouse full of endorsements! :hyper: