Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lending CDs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Dec 3, 2004.

1. AKA CDs you won't be listening to for a while.

I felt like listening to Rush's Hemispheres for the first time in a while tonight. Turns out I lent it to a friend who moved away. He's only 15 mins or so from my house (by car) but it was past 10:30 when I got home. Normally he'd be a block away and I'd get there by foot in a few minutes. Anyone else lend CD's they've wanted to listen to? I'm sure some of you have lent your CD collections to friends who have moved to Russia or something.

2. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I lend out COPIES of CDs. :)

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I don't lend out cd's. I don't even use my own cd's. The minute I get home, I rip teh cd on my computer, than burn it. The originals always stay on a rack.

4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Same here, except I lend out as many CDs as I can. There's no greater pleasure for me than sharing music with others. I always urge people to buy the CD if they like it, but whether they buy it or not, the fact that they were able to take it in is a beautiful thing.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I lent a John Coltrane CD to a friend, and she lent me Miles - Kind of Blue, so we're enjoying the respective geniuses at work...or at least she is. I left the CD in my CD player up in my brother's dorm in Toronto :eek: . He's bringing it down when he comes down for Christmas in a couple weeks though, so it's all good.

6. Guilty...

I borrowed my friend's Dream Theater CD, and he's not a friend I see that often, so I've had it for a few months now...I keep bringing it to functions where I expect to see him, but he's never there except for the one time I forgot it. It's especially bad because DT is his favorite band :oops: Eh, he'll get it back eventually.

I think I remember going music shopping with another friend and buying some Duke Ellington while he bought BB King. I think we temporarily traded, but I never got my Ellington back...or maybe I imagined it, who knows :D

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I once had an original Captain Beyond 1972 debut LP(they were a '70s Rock band with members from Deep Purple, Iron Butterfly, & Johnny Winter And...think Black Sabbath with a brain). ;)
    Sometime in the future('80?), I lend it to a friend...who takes a re-assignment to Naples, Italy for a year. Granted, I was listening to nuthin but Jazz & R&B at that time in my developement...still, you kinda like to have your stuff on the same continent, ya know?
    So, when he gets back, I ask "Do you still have my Captain Beyond album"?
    He sez(naturally), "What album? Who?"

I finally found that album on cd about 5 years ago.
    The yutz.

8. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I know it sounds mean.but I have lent so many CD's and never gotten them back.(Girls are the worse). I just don't
    do it anymore.