Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Claypool - Eyeballs - the Residents

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Sep 1, 2004.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    with all the eyeball visuals in Les' visual history, his public admiration for the Santa Dogs, and his residential locale...

Les Claypool is the Residents.

hastabe.

f

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That would put Claypool at 11 years old at the time of their first release, Meet the Residents.

It be hard to believe that he wasn't influenced by them though. Even the vocals are often very similar.

brad cook

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I believe the Grateful Dead was using lots of eyeball imagery before the Residents. Les is from the bay area...hmmmm...

4. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    eh I disagree, but really, who the hell are they? at least the people that have played with them live know, so, what, not even rumors??

(btw i've noticed some claypool eyeball crap that made me think too, but like digme, i think about his age. damn, who are these people???)

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think that, like Buckethead, the Residents aren't anyone famous that's wearing a disguise. I feel like if you saw them out of their outfits it would just be some regular guys. You wouldn't be like "OMG it's Bon Jovi!" or something. ;)

brad cook

6. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA

thats it!!!! theyre BON JOVI!

7. If you see video footage of their "spokesman", can't remember his name (harry something or other?), he looks just like one of the residents. The thing is, it really doesn't matter who they are. The thing I find interesting is that other than the singer (the most frequent singer, that is), the band lineup could very well have changed numerous times over the years. They could also continue after all of the original members died. There could be a Residents in 2099, 2199, 2299, etc. I personally like that idea.

And yeah - Claypool does kinda rip off the Rez's with his stage act sometimes. But he's still cool.

8. Les Claypool has stated in interviews before that he isn't part of the Residents.
    However, it is easy to see he has been influenced by them.

Also, just on the whole eyeball thing - the upcoming Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains (C2B3) album is titled The Big Eyeball in the Sky.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    When I first hear the residents, I said to the person playing them for me "wait...you said this was X years old, how is les claypool singing on it?"
    :cool:

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Residents are great. They are fantastic "Freak everyone the hell out music."

Call me crazy, but I've always sensed some kind of Zappa/Captain Beefheart connection. :meh: Just a hunch.

They are probably just some normal guys though.

11. Primus covered a Residents song on Miscellaneous Debris.

12. And an XTC song.

13. and a Meters song

and a pink floyd song

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OOooh and a Peter Gabriel Song!