Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Les Claypool on Tour

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Meyekul, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Is anyone else going to see him this summer? I've already got my tickets to the Louisville show. I was just wondering.. who is he playing with? The tickets (and ticketmaster's website) just say "Les Claypool" but I doubt he's going to be alone on stage.

www.lesclaypool.com doesn't give me a lot of information.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Sounds interesting. I would like to see him. He's probably going to be with Oysterhead I would guess.

3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Looks like he's playing Bonnaroo with Gabby La La.
    ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ.

Trey will be there too playing a late night set so something interesting might actually happen. I don't think Oysterhead is happening this summer - Trey's Band is doing a little tour me thinks. I'm guessing it'll be a bastardized version of Frog Brigade or Primus.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I know my dad won't take me, but a few of my friends want to go. Hopefully i'll get some!

5. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    oysterhead!? hah. consider yourself lucky if they ever get back together.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    They broke up?!

What happened?

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Here's the deal. It's nice to see Jay Lane back in the mix - he can do it all. Gabby La La on the other hand is sleepy zzzzzzzzzzz.

Claypool’s New Brigade Includes a Few Old Frogs

Les Claypool will debut a new backing band this summer beginning with an intimate appearance at San Francisco’s The Independent on June 19. Mike Dillon, Jay Lane and Gabby La La will join the bassist on the road, with Skerik performing on most dates as well. Claypool’s summer schedule includes a mix of festivals and headlining dates, including several performances rescheduled after Zooma’s cancellation. Claypool also will appear this Thursday will Gabby La La at the Bonnaroo Music Festival and on June 25 with La La San Francisco at the Great American Music Hall.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    From the Prawn Song email:

9. Out-f***ing-standing!!!

10. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    ill be seeing him thursday night at bonnaroo and then at all good

MUHAHAHA!

11. Torgo

Torgo

Jun 6, 2005
    I really wish that Les would devote some of his time and energy to writing and recording an entire new CD of all new PRIMUS material at some point.

That 5 song E.P. from Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People can only hold me for so long.

BTW, was anyone else sorely disappointed with the recent Primus live DVD that came out? I was really looking forward to it and I thought that both the audio and video (mainly in terms of camera angles) were both sub standard.

12. Actually, I'm pretty certain the Trey is NOT touring the summer, as the Zooma tour was cancelled, and just mere hours before I was going to order my tickets (damn!!!). It's too bad he's not going to be touring with Les either.

13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    As long as Gabby keeps her trap shut on stage, she's fine. She's an accomplished and interesting sitar player when playing in a group - it's when she goes solo, ala opening for CCBBB, that things go awry. Her solo act wears thin after about 30 seconds of fascination, IMHO.

By the way, is it true that she is Buckethead's sister?

15. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I'll second that. I was disappointed when I got it. It just wasn't up to their usual high standard. The live footage from their "Animals..." CD/DVD was really outstanding and I expected the same quality on this one. Oh well.

16. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Aren't Primus playing one gig this year?On Lollapalooza?

17. Yes, Primus is playing the 7/23 show in Chicago. I wish I could make it :(

18. timo

timo

May 31, 2005
    Halifax, UK
    At least you American people get a chance to see the guy :crying:

I like the new DVD. A friend trekked over to Bonaroo to see them and said they were a lot more jokey and fun. The mood on the DVD is much darker and they're trying to capture an immortal live performance but the cameras and sound I thought were good. It is too dark to see whats happening sometimes though. I just wish they'd played DMV. And some Antipop stuff

19. I'm going to see him in kansas july 9th. he is playing with a group called jacob fred jazz odyssey. I just have one question, I have a carl thompson look-a-like I would love to get signed by claypool. Anyone know what my chances are and how to accomplish this?

20. That will be hard to do... Depending on the venue, they may not even let you bring it in. If they do, are you really going to carry around your bass all night?

If you get that far with it, just hang next to the stage after the show and hopefully he'll see you and take pity that you held onto that thing all night. :)