Less Ashdown Growl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I'm currently playing rock with my Ashdown MAG 115 combo with a mid 80's stingray and a TL Audio valve compressor. The only problem is that when I turn up, it goes really really growly. Is there any way to stop this? I need my mids and high mids to cut through, so is there something that I'm doing wrong? I also do have a boss GEB-7 EQ pedal if there is anything I should do with that.

Many Thanks
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Um, if you want less growl, then why are you playing a Stingray? :eyebrow:

For a little less growl, go with a P-bass (you'll still have alot of growl.

Or if you want alot less growl, go with one of these:

3. I understand the fact I'm playing a stingray kinda defeats the point but it so much that when I play with my band, it loses LOTS of clarity and just sounds like an overdriven mess. i just wanna clean it up a little really, so I can hear what I'm playing.
    Another annoying bit is that the tone with the master volume at about 1/4 of the way up is perfect. but I have to 1/2 way up fpr the needed volume and my tone goes out of the window.
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Oh, so it's actually clipping?

Maybe you should get an extension cab for the Ashdown, so you're using the full 307 watts. You'll have more headroom then. Otherwise, seems like the only solution is to get a more powerful amp. :meh:
  5. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Ive found the MAG has a sensitive preamp- I always have to keep the gain really low, against my active bass. The inputs are confusing. If you have an active bass, put it in the "low" input, rather than the "high"
  6. I think it could be clipping but I keep all my EQ knobs reasonably close to 12 o'clock and my gain is never higher than 11 o'clock. on the VU meter, the needle never goes past the halfway point, but what does the VU measure? Is it input, EQ or something else?

Many thanks for all the help
  7. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia

The ashdown combos only put out 180 watts without the extension cabinet. If you get the extra cab they will put out 307 watts. The increased headroom might fix your problem
  8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Get mellower strings maybe????
    I don't think its the amps fault.
  9. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

my behringer head, copy of the ashdown, keeps the vu needle always in the red line, whenever I use my rics or the 72 jazz..... I get no distorsion whatsoever...