Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lessard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Awhile ago I made a thread on how to get Stefan Lessard's (DMB) tone. Well there was alot of people who were claiming "oh he has thousands of dollars of gear blah blah blah." There were also alot of people who were curious as how to get the smooth, burpy midrange. Well tonight, I was down the old guitar center, and for the hell of it I tried a 50 dollar compression pedal. I plug it in and turn it up, and there it is, without question, that is his tone. It is very very compressed. Now, this is after I spent 2 thousand dollars on a rig to try and get that tone, I look at a used pedal and there it is. For those who are wondering it's a digi-tech compression and something else. I'm just about ecstatic right now.

:bassist:

2. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Which Digitech? Is it the Squeeze Box? What are your settings on the pedal?

Actually Lessard's tone does have a lot of compression. He used to use an Aphex 661 compressor in his rack. I had one when I had my large rack and it nailed the compressed tone he has.

3. Yep, squeeze box. I don't remember the exact settings, it's in my basement and I'm three floors up. But the crossover was very close to the 100hz there. That's what I remember making the largest difference.

4. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Bingo!! That's exactly where mine's set at. I kind of go for his tone by default anyway so I guess that explains it.

I am also impressed with the Squeeze Box. When I was looking for a compressor, the salesman recommended it. I was very skeptical, but I was sold on it right away! Plus, $20 back on a new one is a sweet deal.

5. Yeah, I totally dig his tone, and I had a hell of a time getting it until I got this thing.

6. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I feel your pain. At one time my rig consisted of:

Modulus Flea Bass 4
    Furman PL-8 Power Supply
    Korg DTR 1 Tuner
    Shure U4D Wireless
    SWR Grand Prix Pre-amp
    Aphex 661 Compressor
    Peavey 31 band EQ
    Crest Audio Power Amp

The only thing I didn't have from his rig at the time was the Meyer Sound EQ ($2,500 used :eek: ) and the Meyer cabinets he had on stage ($4,000 to $6,000 each :eek: :eek: )

Now I'm absolutely sold on the Ampeg Pre-Amp. It does the job of all of those things combined (except the comp, which the Squeeze Box handles just fine). I went from a full 8 space rack to a 4 space and my tone hasn't been better.

7. I have an Ampeg cab and Ampeg STV5-PRO head. All I needed to get the tone was the squeeze box. And a Korg tuner but that has nothing to do with the tone. The Ampeg and DigiTech together do just a good job as his 10,000+ setup.

8. Love the tone of this guy too!
    But don't want to buy those kind of instruments , F Bass and fender are more my tastes.
    But you must have waited a long time before finding it, it's a very "strange" sound, unusual!

Congrats :D
    Vince

9. A year, a new bass, a new cab and head, and 5,000 dollars worth of gear later I found a 70 dollar stomp box.

:rollno:

10. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Yeah I know the Korg has nothing to do with it. It was just on his list of equipment and I needed a tuner so...

Nice amp you have there. I've tried the Pro5 and it's awesome! I wanted to get an Ampeg head but I already had the Crest amp so it was easier (and cheaper) to just buy the preamp.

I'm still waiting for my Ampeg cab to get in. I ordered an 810 AV but they got in an 810E instead, so now I have to wait for them to get the right one in.

11. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Yep that's how it can be sometimes....

12. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Can you guys put up a sample of you playing through the Squeeze Box? I'd love to hear the comparison of Tones.

13. yeah, i would like a sample too. not to try to prove you wrong, but i am interested in hearing a $70 effect box putting all those big expensive rackmounted gear to shame!

didn't stefan have eventide gear too?

Charlie

14. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Still does

15. yeah, thats what i thought...thats why i'm kind of interested in hearing that $70 box match up to an eventide processor!

16. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Please guys ? A sample? I'd love to hear it, love the sample, and go buy one and sound like Stefan. Heh, I almost do already, cuz thats the only tone I try to emulate. But if this stomper helps, why not, eh?

17. I actually sold the box.

I went after his older Warwick tone, seeing as I have a Warwick and all. Much easier and a better tone IMO to get. My setup is now an Ameg SVT-5PRO, Bass POD Pro, Sonic Maximizer, Korg DTR-1000 and Furman power conditioner. Going into an Ampeg 4x10...I finally stopped being naive and adding shenanigans on, and I don't even think I need the POD anymore. I love love love his old tone, think Red Rocks tone. The POD can get his newer tone, in fact people tell me it sounds alot like Stefan. I just love his older, more-raw tone. Keep in mind this post is 4 months old =p

18. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Do you still find the Squeeze box to be a good investment ? Elaborate on what tone it gave you? The newer modulus tone?

19. It gave me that tone, but it was very very muddy and waver-y.

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I think he's got an Empirical Labs Compressor/Distressor in there too. Those are very, very badassed. If I liked compression, I'd so buy one. :)