1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lessons in Nashville?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SRT80, Sep 26, 2010.

1. I'm wantin' to learn the upright bass. I never really learned the electric bass....just mainly played around with it.

I love bluegrass music though and just think the upright would be fun.

Wonderin' if someone can point me in the right direction to a teacher in the Nashville area?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. You're in a great location.

Several shops offer lessons--you might try Dustin Williams' shop or Nashville Violins.

A couple of individuals come to mind also. Jim Ferguson is a great teacher. Ike Harris, who posts here on TB on occasion, also takes private students. There are lots of others but I thought about these first. Check the teacher forum below and you will probably find several other possibilities.

3. Thanks for the info. I will look into those. I'm wantin' to get into bluegrass and wanna get started on the right track. I still need to find a descent double bass first though.

Thanks again!
    Steve

4. If I lived in Nashville and was wanting to play bluegrass bass, my first stop would be Missy Raines, seven-time IBMA bass player of the year. Don't know if she's taking students, but that's where I'd start.

5. Thanks for tellin' me about her. I contacted her and she does lessons. So I gotta hurry up and get me a bass so I can get setup and started.

Steve

6. Will Yager

Will Yager Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    +1 on Jim Ferguson. No matter what music you want to play, taking classically from someone in the Nashville Symphony is a good idea.