Lessons in Portland Or?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Singlecoil, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Singlecoil

Singlecoil

Nov 7, 2016
    Beginning bass player here..guitar player covert so understand some theory. ...Anybody know of and recommend a bass instructor in the Portland area? Thanks alot for any suggestions
    Bob

2. roberts67

roberts67

Jan 14, 2017
    Andrew Wright in Aloha. He has a nice studio for lessons. He has a website for contacting him. I am 49 and have been taking lessons from him since August. Robert

3. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Damian Erskine is in the Sellwood area.

4. Singlecoil

Singlecoil

Nov 7, 2016
    Excellent! ! Thanks alot for the replies.
    I will check them out!
    Bob

Obese Chess likes this.
  5. I took guitar lessons at Five Star Guitars, I really like the guys over there. They offer bass lessons as well.

6. I heard that Mr. Mark Shark is now teaching in Portland (he was with Mr. Jackson Browne's band for years)

Singlecoil and Obese Chess like this.
  7. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Dear SingleCoil,

I've taken lessons with Calvin Berkenbile in Hillsboro. I'm currently taking a break right now, but this guy is the ONLY bass teacher in the metro area I really clicked with. He's a graduate of the Stanford University music program (I think). He's patient, smart, and absolutely knows his stuff!

I know Hillsboro is a bit out of the way, but it's totally worth it. He also seems to be the only bass teacher in the entire area that has an actual, CLEAN, comfortable music studio, and not just some area in his basement that he turned into a music room. ! I'm going to start up again with him in March.

Here's a link to his Facebook page so you can message him: Melody Maker Studios | Facebook

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Singlecoil

Singlecoil

Nov 7, 2016
    Thanks Ironbar!!! And everyone else for the help...I have talked to a couple guys in Portland but am still in the hunt...I am close to Troutdale , East of Portland so anything on the Westside just doesn't thrill me....Really looking for a weekend thing. The guys I have talked with gig then...Makes since...Once again...Thanks for the replies!!!

9. Personally, I had to make the distinction between a "good player" vs. a "good teacher"... I, luckily, found one who is both... after 3 that weren't teachers at all.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2021