Lessons: online or in person...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bmarinakjr, Jan 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bmarinakjr

bmarinakjr

Jun 25, 2011
    Looking for lessons to learn how to play my upright 3/4 acoustic bass...

In the North Tampa, FL area but can't find anyone that provides lessons. Does anyone know of a good 'online resource' that I might be able to use?

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Contact the music departments of your local colleges.

MDrost1 likes this.
  3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    MDrost1 likes this.
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The number of times my teacher had to take the instrument out of my hands or physically adjust my stance or make me "let go" of my bow arm so that he could drag my limp arm over the string so I could get a visceral feeling for how gravity and physics are my friend, those are innumerable and ongoing.

This is a much more physical instrument than bass guitar, the advantages gained by being in the same room with an actual person who has a deeper understanding and longevity on this instrument is not to be discounted...

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Does Mike Ross not teach?

Steve Boisen likes this.
  6. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    You might contact Steve Boisen here on TB. He is in the same area, I think.

Steve Boisen and bskts247 like this.
  7. I originally used google hangouts for a rehearsal with a modern dancer - I was impressed at how well it worked. I have maintained my students from Houston with it since my move to the Boston area. It does work well, but in person is better. Online is better than the wrong teacher or no teacher by far, though.

8. Common Tater

Common Tater

Jan 15, 2016
    Iowa
    That's good advice.

Here's a few things I learned while taking lessons at the local university. One thing that university does right, at least this university, is teach people how to play in an orchestra. If you want to play classical music then you are good. If not then hope your instructor likes the same music you do. The instructors are often graduate students. That does not mean they lack talent or experience as musicians, they will be talented and experienced or they would not have been accepted as students. What it does mean is that they may not be talented or experienced instructors. I don't know how much choice you will have in instructors but it may be a good idea to have a job interview of sorts on the instructor. That's just good advice generally but with a university it might be more difficult to "fire and hire" instructors. If you take lessons for more then one year then expect to have more than one instructor, when they graduate they will move on.

Contacting the local colleges to find an instructor might not mean you are a student at the school. You may also be given a list of faculty and students that have indicated they offer lessons off campus. If you take lessons through the school then that might have some perks with things like student discounts from local businesses and at events the school sponsors.

Good luck, bmarinakjr

9. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    Steve Boisen likes this.
  10. bassfiddlesteve

bassfiddlesteve Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    I live in the Tampa Bay area and offer lessons on a limited basis. I can also refer you to other double bass teachers as there are several in our area, both jazz and classical. Send me a private message and I'll be happy to help.

- Steve

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022