1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let me see your setup !!! King doublebass/markbass amp/shadow pickups

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Custard cat, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Custard cat

Custard cat

Apr 1, 2018
    IMG_1554.jpg

RMT Bass, filwitheneff, 36hz and 4 others like this.
  2. Custard cat

Custard cat

Apr 1, 2018
    Sparkle King 3/4 double bass,Superior Bassworks dirty gut deluxe strings.Little mark bass III head,New york 121 cab.Shadow rockabilly pick up system

210superair and dhergert like this.
  3. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Very nice paint!!!

Here's mine:
    Present setup (as pictured today, but not all visible):
    Deuce1 Bridge
    Deuce custom tailpiece
    Innovation SilverSlaps E&A / SBW Deluxe Dirty Gut D&G
    Vic's Pickups Model C => K&K Dual Channel Pro ST
    Sennheiser e604 (clean)
    Carbondix bow

4. Custard cat

Custard cat

Apr 1, 2018
    one beautiful looking bass you have there,love the f holes designe.

5. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Thanks, I'm enjoying it lots and feel lucky to have it.

Yours is a beauty too!

210superair and Custard cat like this.
  6. Custard cat

Custard cat

Apr 1, 2018
    you can not see the sparkle in the photo,but its candy apple red with silver flakes in the paint which really catch the lights.yes i feel very lucky to own mine too.

7. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Uk
    1980's Hungarian hybrid (love the lighter stripe in the top that always comes out in photos)
    Superior bassworks deluxe dirty guts
    KNA DB-1 pickup mounted on the G side
    Sansamp paradriver preamp di
    Behringer pm2 headphone amp
    Kz zs10pro in ear monitors
    78050611_10162745152335375_8429574063789178880_o.jpg

8. Custard cat

Custard cat

Apr 1, 2018
    Another great looking bass.The centre stripe gives a one off look to it.Superior bassworks deluxe dirty guts strings seam to have a theme here.

dhergert and Trimmo91 like this.
  9. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Uk
    They are truly great strings. In picture I'm actually using gut a like swingmasters from Germany. Similar to the superiors but copper round wound e and a chewed up my fingerboard. The superiors also have more bottom end punch than the swingmasters.

Tempted to look at evah weichs, spirocore weichs and polychromes but not keen on chrome/ steel strings on my fingers.

dhergert and Custard cat like this.
  10. Custard cat

Custard cat

Apr 1, 2018
    The old string debate,you will drive your self mad looking for the pefect strings.My advice is stick with the superious and free up your mind for playing,Then you will enjoy the sound you have.Mind you real gut strings are always floating around in the back of my mind.Never had them though.But only if !!!! lol.

11. Trimmo91

Trimmo91

Apr 29, 2015
    Uk
    True. I do have some plain guts that I put on then almost immediately removed them. To my ear they didn't sound significantly better than the superiors and the poor tuning stability drove me mad.

I am really enjoying the superiors. Great combination with the kna db-1 and Sansamp paradriver for a thumpy bouncy blues tone (think big joe turner and whynonie harris).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    dhergert, Custard cat and 210superair like this.
  12. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Currently driving myself mad on strings, lol. Won't buy another string until I figure out what I'm after. I'm stuck in the rabbit hole...

I don't currently have an amp, but here's what I'm playing right now. 65 Kay c-1, Eastman 80, and 54 Kay model 130 cello. Been playing the cello more and more and really enjoying it... Fun instrument to record.

Next I'm heading back down the amp rabbit hole.... 20190913_154132.jpg 20200218_171839.jpg

Attached Files:

13. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    @210superair, are you using 4ths or fifths tuning?

Yes, the Superior Bassworks (SBW) strings do seem to be a theme here. Interesting.

If I were only playing plugged in I'd probably still be using a whole set, their plugged in tone is excellent. The DB work in our newest album (linked in my signature line) was using all SBW Deluxe Dirty Guts. The Dirty Guts bow very nicely too, btw...

But I play more acoustic than I do plugged in, as such I needed more clarity and volume than I was getting from the Dirty Guts EA, although the DG were fine. The move to SilverSlap EA has provided that clarity and power for my Alcoa, and has made an excellent sound and touch mix for playing both acoustically and plugged in.

RMT Bass and Custard cat like this.
  14. Custard cat

Custard cat

Apr 1, 2018
    A couple of stunners you have there,As for rabbit holes tell me about it.The best way is don't go down them.easy said then done.

dhergert likes this.
  15. Custard cat

Custard cat

Apr 1, 2018
    Come on, Some more bass photo's please.Show us your pride and joy.

16. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Custard cat likes this.
  17. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Been there, still mad...

I can't find any pictures right now, but back when I was doing a gig that needed slap, I was running SBW Deluxe dirty guts, an Upton Rev Solo 2 pickup, an FDeck pre and Markbass LMii into a MB 2x10. The SBW strings were the only viable option for me because at the time I had a schedule where it was a mix of outdoor patios in direct sunlight and 90+ degrees, indoor air conditioned restaurant dinner gigs, and late night smokey bars...sometimes all in the same day. Real guts would have driven me to chemical dependency.

RMT Bass, Custard cat and dhergert like this.
  18. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    Here's my small collection:
    Blast Cult with Innovation's and a BC pickup
    Blackie (It's an FMI) with the SBW's and Shadow RB Pro, flames added by me, custom f-hole covers also by me
    Brownie (It's an S&R) with whatever steel strings came with it, Krivo pickup. image002 (1).jpg

19. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    I had been playing Blackie almost exclusively. No complaints with the setup really. But I only slap on only a very few songs. The downtime has given me time to think.
    When I got the BC it played amazingly, with BC Low Life strings on it. And it sounded great. But it didn't slap as well, so I changed (found the LL's had broken cores anyway!). It slaps great but doesn't quite have the sound I want. So honestly, I am looking at another set of LL's and to get the setup back to where it was to start. With the goal being play-ability plus really good sound. I'll have to see how the feedback goes, of course. My BC only has one sound post so it is a little livelier and sounds pretty good acoustic. If I can get it back playing smooth as butter I can leave my electric bass in the case, so that will be cool.
    Then if I need to slap more I've always got Blackie.

Custard cat and dhergert like this.
  20. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    6BD81EF1-BB24-4B98-9FF3-379C9991B502.jpeg I don’t slap but here you go. Beat-to-crap Juzek (Taped up seams!) Vic model B, Fishman EQ, Fender Rumble 500, 2x12.

Custard cat and dhergert like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021