1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

let's talk sequencers

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by infamousxtopher, Apr 23, 2006.

1. its that time, i'm moving on. i've been using garageband for about a year now, and its just too limiting for what i'm doing. i have demos of both abelton live and logic express at the moment and am trying to decide what to upgrade too. logic seems a bit overkill to me, and abelton seems pretty rocking so far, plus the fact that icould use it for live performance makes it great. i need audio and midi sequencing, softsynths and drum machines are cool, but i use reason for most of that, i'm jsut getting started with that program too (so i have a lot on my plate at the moment :)) i do'nt need anything crazy, i need something that won't kill the processor on my ibook, although i'll be upgrading to a desktop soon just for audio work and keeping the ibook for general use and performance. i like nice easy to use interfaces, reason is great, models of all the hardware stuff, that's what i like. i used to use n-track on my pc back in the day and it worked pretty damn well, nice and stripped down, nothing fancy, i jsut need reqire support and something that works on a mac. any more suggestions for me? possibly cheaper alternatives? thanks a lot guys, i hope i was descriptive enough.

topher.

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I really think Ableton Live is a fantastic program.

You use Reason? I'm looking into that for a school application. Does it import Standard MIDI Files? and how easy is it to use .wav files in the sequence?

thanks.

3. i'm just getting started with reason, i have a crash course planned for it with a friend who's a master at the program and i'm excited, but so far it seems great. wavs are really easy to sample, i'm just getting into the midi side of things, but seems pretty rockin.

4. you haven't said what you need it for mate

i'm a logic user and have been for about 5-6 years, just shelled out the money for logic pro 7. i couldn't recommend this app enough, but then i don't know what you want it for. i make weird experimental bass guitar infused electronic music, and this programs perfect for me. so many awesome head****ing synth plugins (sculpture, es2, etc) wicked effects (space designer, platinum verb, loads and loads) basically, its like reason, its everything you need in one box, except it doesn't sound crap like reason :p

i used reason for about 2 years before i moved onto logic (as my first sequencer) it was a good introduction to midi music, but i found it near to impossible to get a good mixdown out of it (probrably the most discussed point about the sequencer) personally i think its ****. REALLY good interface, very intuitive, unlike logic. if it had the audio engine and plugins of logic, i wouldn't use anything else. but it doesn't, and it doesnt let you use vsts. which licks balls.

logic is everything you need, the only other plugins i use are reaktor 5 for crazy sampling/granular synthesis and guitar rig 2 as a quasi-fx pedal for my bass

i sound like an apple employee now so i'll stop

5. It sounds like you are probably using a Mac. buti have had great results with Cakewalk Sonar. I find teh sound quality to be very good, and the features are great. There is a supportive and helpful online forum. Customer service is great. I've been using it for a couple years and I still find new things I can make it do. On the negative side there is limited CS support, its pretty much Mackies CU or nothing.

6. +1 Cakewalk Sonar is the best out there... the most expensive too . i love it though