1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Let's try a new method for deciding the set list.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Ok. Brief summary. My band is doing a gig tonight with a top notch soundguy in a club that allegedly caters to our type of crowd ( No classic rock, pretty much modern hard and alternative no older than 1992).

We basically do a mix of poppy type alternative songs and modern hard rock songs. For some reason the task always falls to me to do set lists and that's ok. I usually do a good job. I thought for tonight though maybe I could get some opinions from some of my peers. So, here is a list of songs I would like to do most of tonight. The deal is 3 sets, 4 hours. Anyone care to share with me how they would arrange them and why?

Rage Against the Machine:
    Bombtrack
    Killing in the Name
    Bullet in the Head
    Bulls on Parade
    Freedom

The Offspring:
    Gone Away
    Come Out and Play
    Days Go By

Deftones:
    7 Words
    Shove It
    Bored

Chevelle:
    Face to the Floor
    The Clincher
    The Red

Saliva:
    Your Disease
    Click Click Boom

Sublime:
    What I Got
    Caress Me Down

Stone Temple Pilots:
    Sex Type Thing
    Crackerman
    Plush

The Toadies:
    Possum Kingdom
    I Come from the Water

Limp Bizkit:
    Faith
    Break Stuff

Silverchair:
    Tomorrow
    Pure Massacre

Alice in Chains:
    Man in the Box
    Got Me Wrong
    Would?
    Heaven Beside You

Lit:
    My Own Worst Enemy

Harvey Danger:
    Flagpole Sitta

Tripping Daisy:
    I Got a Girl

Weezer:
    Sweater Song

Local H:
    Bound for the Floor

Tonic:
    Open Up Your Eyes

Ludo:
    Love Me Dead

Godsmack:
    Whatever

Shinedown:
    Sound of Madness

Cavo:
    Champagne

Tool:
    Sober

Filter:
    Hey Man Nice Shot

Three Doors Down:
    Loser

Everclear:
    Santa Monica

Mad Season:
    I Don't Know Anything

Jerry Cantrell:
    Cut You In

Sappy:
    Nirvana

2. Aww! I am so jealous of your setlist! In our area, the *only* thing that sells is classic rock and Australian rock. Sometimes you sneak in little victories like Flagpole Sitta or No One Knows, but mostly it's dad-rock all night long. So kudos to you for being able to keep it interesting and make it pay.

As far as the list, my only advice is not to overthink it. Me and the Bandleader generally make up our setlists, and we used to be very meticulous about it, but as time went on and we had to do things like throw in extra songs to make up time, or bring certain artists forward because the birthday girl likes them, things didn't really seem to flow any better or worse despite the improvised nature of it.

For example one of our typical throw-away first set songs is Save Tonight, but one time we encored with it on a goof, and it killed. So maybe this is just me not reading the audience well enough to see useful patterns, but I haven't been seeing them.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Thanks for the kind words brother.

I generally don't sweat it too much other than to try to keep songs blocked in the same tunings so we aren't retuning after one or two songs. Kind of curious as to what people think about leading off heavy, then mixing lighter stuff in or heavy songs at beginning and end of sets, etc..

4. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Where are you playing? sorry you have to follow a home Cardinals game as well...although if we win you'll have drunk happy patrons so maybe I'm not sorry haha...

Looking at the list...I can't see anything better than opening with Bombtrack, trademark opener...maybe follow up with Come out and Play to keep it up tempo

5. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    Agree about mixing lighter in the middle...That's the one thing I can never hammer home for our set lists. People respond if you start strong and end strong...seems you got that covered so you'll be good

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Stratford. Yeah the game thing sucks, but we usually wind up doing all kinds of gigs at bad times. Pointfest, etc.. We are bringing probably 50 people of our own that we know of right now so all is not lost.

7. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    Just played there last Saturday..I'll probably come check you guys out as it's 10 minutes away...Sound guy is good...only problem for me was my mic...he says he sets the gain pretty high and likes people right up on it...the bass does sound out front but it was a little boomy for me up onstage but you guys are only a trio so you can probably avoid standing next to them ...have fun its a nice set up!:bassist:

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I heard he was good. Using an SVT/810 mic'ed and 58s for vocals. Hope the subs hit really hard.
    The owner said something about not liking four sets and he'd rather have 2 or 3. How did you guys do it?

I seen you were up there and liked the link on FB. Unfortunately I couldn't make it. I wanted to though. It would be nice to meet you broham.

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    Great songs! My only contribution is to try to start each set with 2 or 3 that are the most well known. That will get everyones attention and the they'll be ready to enjoy some of the lesser known songs. Have a great Gig.

10. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    I'll be up there tonight.

Yes the subs hit hard....dual 18's on both sides of the stage...may seem they hit harder on stage because there are speakers above you aimed toward the dance floor that get full range...I really had to eq out my lows on my stage rig to hear and occasionally had to lean back to my speakers, but I ran a SA BDDI so I wasn't too worried. They'll provide mics and stands for vocals, drum and instrument mics and xlr's too...can't remember if they are just 58s or 58 betas for vox....

We did 3 45-50 minute sets so just 3 hours...still adding to our list I'm trying my hardest to push us over the 3 hour hump but I get flack for it...If you haven't met the owner Joe yet he is a tremendously nice guy and really has done a stellar job getting that place up and running...back in July we were one of the first bands and brought our own mains and mixer to plug into their house speakers but they're golden now...

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Yeah, we met Joe. Seems like a nice enough guy, though he referred to some of our set as classic rock ( The AIC). :spit:

I will be insisting on using my own mics. We may use his drum mics, but somehow I doubt very seriously he has 12 of them so we will likely be using our own. :D

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Think we will go ahead and do our usual 4 50 minute sets then.

13. I'll have to drop by too. Sounds like an interesting set list, and it would be fun to meet folks from TB.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Man, that would be awesome. I have always wanted to meet my fellow STL TBers.

15. AIC classic rock? LOL!

Some of those tunes are vocal murderer if you stack them together - or do you guys mix vocal duties? Only other suggestion - don't hit them too heavy to begin with but by the third tune for sure. Final comment - damn I wish I could find a band that wanted to play that setlist and a place to play it around here!

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Only certain songs are difficult for my vocalist so I have to put them in certain places for sure. Generally anywhere after the first 7 songs he will be good on Deftones and other screaming stuff. Drummer and I sing back up, guitarist is main singer. Drummer does sing the Tonic song though.

17. I love that Mad Season tune. Have you played Heroin Girl by Everclear? That's a great song I don't think anyone plays...

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    No, but it actually is on the short list. Along with Father of Mine. Also Beverly Hills by Weezer.

19. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Open with Bored...

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

lol

I wanted to open with Shove it. My guitarist/singer asked me to let him have 6 or 7 songs before I threw any Deftones at him. lol