1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

leveling body question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by flam, Mar 8, 2013.

1. flam

flam

Sep 20, 2010
    Tempe, Arizona
    I attempted to search, but couldn't really figure out what to search for, so if anybody has links, post them.

I have a Traben Array Attack that has had various damages over the years, especially to the veneer top. Because it was a gift I want to redo it, and have paints and hardware and such selected for it.

Anyway, the paint is a black with small gold flake in it, and I would like to know if there's a way I can blend the edge between the veneer and the body where the veneer split off, so that it won't show through when I paint it? I tried, but I can't seem to get the transition smooth enough. Would I be better off just removing the entire veneer?

2. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    I've heard it said that we teach what we most need to learn... That said, I'm still learning the process of refinishing solid body guitars and basses... My current project is over maple, which doesn't require a grain filler...

If you stripped instrument down to the original wood, and it is smooth (sanded w/ 220 and 320 paper), your next step is with a grain filler (oil base version recommended).

Re-Ranch 101 has suggestions for refinishing... Damn close to "directions," in fact. Check there... They delineate the whole process.

3. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal