1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Light Bass Neck Dive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matt11, May 12, 2011.

1. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    In your experience, do all light basses (8.5 lbs or less) have neck dive problems? Any consistently light bass models that you have found don't typically dive? Persistent back problems have got me thinking about light basses.

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    No. However, I do find that strap button placement and lightweight tuners make a big difference.

3. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    hipshot ultralites

i have a 7.8lb peavey p-bass with ultralites and no dive

lakland's have ultralites but not consistantly light. later model Peavey USA fury is what i have. the body is thin.

4. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    All?
    No, I played a Squier P that weighed well under 7 lbs with no dive at all, and played heavier with significant neck dive.
    It depends more on the weight of the neck than the body it seems.

5. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i also played an affinity p-bass that was really light with no dive. didn't sound great though.

6. I like to help but I am only experienced in heavy neck dives

7. Super D

Super D

Apr 9, 2011
    Indy
    It is not so much the weight of the neck or the body. It is the placement of the strap button. Ideally in general you want it around the 12 to 14 fret area.

8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    no - 6.1 lbs

mb2.

9. Seems 8 or 8.5 lbs is the tipping point on my basses. Wide leather strap solves it however.

10. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Given the same placement of the upper button (IE: same body style), the neck makes more difference than the body weight, I think.
    Of my Ricks, which all have the same strap attachment spot, my 4000 has neck dive while the others do not.
    The reason: heavier neck and lighter body.

There's more neck hanging out from the centre of balance to act as a lever than there is body hanging out in the other direction, therefore a little more weight on the neck will need a lot more weight on the body to counterbalance it.

11. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I have a 7.6lbs bass and no neck dick at all.. Its a pleasure to play! :)

12. A long enough top horn can help reduce the risk of neck dive.

Light basses don't necessarily have neck dive, although some will inevitably. I recall playing some Squier basses from the 80's with light basswood or particle board bodies and rock maple necks.

13. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks for the responses. Gives me hope of finding a good one.