Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Light Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ruth0583, Oct 17, 2005.

1. ruth0583

ruth0583

Oct 17, 2005
    Can anyone recommend a good quality light bass?

Having a slightly weakened back I'm looking for a light, versatile bass that I can play a variety of styles on, ranging from funk, melodic rock to blow out metal!

Perhaps there is not just one to cover this spectrum but I would love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks x

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Ibanez have tons of light basses, i recently got an oldish Aria Pro II as a banger bass, and its unbelieveably light!, so much so its off putting!

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Could you narrow things down a bit? For instance, are you looking for something traditional in size like a Fender J or P that is built to be light or are you willing to try something more radical like a Steinberger or Kubicki or Curbow Petite?

r

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    EBMM sterling
    MTD Kingston
    MTD Heir

6. Basextravaganza

Basextravaganza

Sep 19, 2004
    The is a less conventional way of building a light bass; not building it of wood, but plywood. I build one completely out of plywood (stiffened the neck with a truss-rod and 2 grafite bars. But using a plywood body with a maple nack is possible aswell. you can paint the body so you can't even see it. This will reduce the weight with al least 2 pounds compared with a wooden body. I build exactly this bass 2 times to see the weight difference and to prove that even with inferior materials a good sounding bass can be built. This bass sounds just as good. Try thinking differently.

Bas

Attached Files:

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Damn. Look out Ritter. Plywood's a-comin.

-Eric.

8. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What's your price range?

10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Cort Curbow series. plenty of variations available, (i.e 4, 5,or 6 strings, frettless, and several colors)and even though luthite is heavier than wood in equal volumes, the smaller body is much lighter than a conventional bass. They also make a wood version which has a smaller body and is probably quite light. With their bart pu and pre they are quite versatile. If you buy one used, make sure it has the bart electronics, because the very early ones had Mighty might pickups and preamps that weren't bad, but were definatley basic, beginner, and not anywhere near bart quality.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If they fall into your price range, F Basses are pretty light, and they are extremely versatile for about any type of music you would want to play.

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    A Sadowsky Metro (M5-24 & MV5) and Mike Lull M5V are the lightest basses I've ever played.. Probably 8 ~ 8.5 pounds each..

I hear the Parker Fly basses are pretty light also though they're kind of expensive and the shape doesn't appeal to everyone. Would like to try one though..

13. A good bass player in my area has the same issue:
    parker fly = ~7lbs
    elricks = ~8lbs.

These are all so varible depending on if you want 4 or 5 strings and wood choice etc... elrick builds custom basses tho.. if you request light you can get one at 6lbs and they sound fantastic!

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Lightest bass I ever played was a '99 Fender American Deluxe Precision I sold last year. With a natural finish ash body, it was about 7.5 pounds if I recall correctly. I could wear it for hours, and barely notice. These aren't too hard to find used, and the range of tones might suit your needs.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    TOday i played an MTD kingston 4 taht was defintely 7 pounds or less. It was so light, and it played amazingly, perfect fretwork , very fast neck..

Highly recommend this bass.

16. very important question :D

if you like to buy a 'boutique' bass i would also recomend Ritter. They're incredible light :)

17. JessRobinson

JessRobinson Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
  18. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I agree. My MS5 weighs only about 4 kgs.

But the lightest bass that I've ever bumped into is an Ibanez GWB1. Mine only weighs 3,2 kgs.

19. JohnnyRook

JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    If you don't mind graphite/headless, I'd suggest the Miller FabFour (or Five, for that matter).
    Despite their odd looks, they have a killer sound and only weight 2.3 kilos...