1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Light combo/stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HernanSoul, Mar 8, 2013.

1. HernanSoul

HernanSoul

Jan 30, 2013
    Hi guys, I've never posted here, I'm really a fan of reading your threads only. This time really need your help, I had a back surgery and now can't lift heavy things :(

Recently sold a Yorkville xs 400 combo because that thing was really made of iron or something and was really hard to lift it.

Now, with a 650 dlls budget I'm looking for some combo or stack light weighted. What would you recommend me?

The amp must be enough punchy for band rehearsals or small venues. On my local store tried the Ampeg Micro VR but I'm not pretty sure if it's a good option.

Mostly play funk and bossa gigs.

Sorry for my bad english, cheers from Mexico.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  3. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    Gk mb210ll is a great little combo 500 watts with extension cab 350 stand alone and only weighs 35lbs

4. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Carvin Microbass: MB10 or MB210 or MB12 or MB15 and a MB15 extension cab. All the MB combo amps are 200 watts @8 Ohms or 250 watts with the extension cab. All the MB combo amps range between 25 lbs and 35 lbs and the extension MB15 cab is about 30 lbs. Worth a look. I have two MB10 combos. I use one for bass and my son uses one for electronic drums. I have a Eden EX10 extension cab for my MB10, but the MB15 extension would give you more low end.

5. HernanSoul

HernanSoul

Jan 30, 2013
    Actually I see one of these on another local dealer but I didn't had the chance to try it out. I'll try it tomorrow, thanks!

6. HernanSoul

HernanSoul

Jan 30, 2013
    Thank you for the replies guys, I appreciate it. Any experience on the Micro VR?

7. wolffire99

wolffire99

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    My lightweight rig:

Ampeg svt210av 25lbs
    Aguilar TH350 3lbs

If you wait for a 10-15% off sale both can be had for under $700 total.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Used Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 with either a 12T or 210T cab. Look hard and you can fit it into that budget.

9. HernanSoul

HernanSoul

Jan 30, 2013
    The BG250 is really nice. I'll try it out and will let you know! Cheers.

10. Agree on the Carvin. I have the mb15 with 15" extension and it works just fine for my needs. Nice and light and sounds great.

11. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    The BG250 would not be my first choice,,, I owned one and HATED the tone.

My vote would also go for the GK MB210 or any of the other GK MB combos.

Do yourself a big favor and try out a GK combo before you buy the BG250.

If ya want to go for stack get the GK MBE210 ext cab to mate up with the GK MB210,,, although you might not need the ext cab,,, the MB210 is a pretty powerful stand alone rig as it is.

Cheers
    Davyo

12. DesertDirtDog

DesertDirtDog

Dec 12, 2010
    If you're considering a small piggyback setup, you might look at the GK MB200 with a Hartke Hydrive 112.

More than enough for practice and small venues, and adequate for bigger rooms utilizing the direct out to a PA.

If your gig bags have shoulder straps, it's one trip to load in or out, and would run right around $650.

13. HernanSoul

HernanSoul

Jan 30, 2013
    All the local stores at my town sells the same brands, yesterday I played with a Fender rumble 150 and it's very punchy. I know its not so light but the castor wheels are handy for the transporting issues.

Any experience on the rumble 150?

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
  15. Modulusgod1

Modulusgod1

Mar 17, 2013
    I have the exact same rig as you, the mb10 with a eden ex110. Plenty for the gigs I play, and for outdoor stuff I have a cheap seismic audio 1x15 I put under it. Run with a sans amp DI on the front end its a killer mini rig IMHO.

16. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    :confused:
    I have a MB200 I use with a Genz Benz Focus 115 - also just bought a BG250. The MB is fine, but I actually prefer the tone of the BG250. The Tubedrive sounds awesome!
    IMHO the the BG has more "character" - in a good way.

17. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    At a minimum, a very strong contender. That's the way I'd go if I was buying new.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can't say I'm a fan of digital amps like Line 6 and TC. And I love the Micro VR rig and use one on a regular basis, but one thing about it is it's a medium duty rig. Way plenty for my needs, but may not be enough for some.

19. Everyone of these threads he pops in and says how much he hates the BG. Different strokes. I dig the BG very much.

20. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Jimmy, I have a VT Bass pedal, and while the Tubedrive on the BG250 is nowhere near as versatile (one knob after all), it does give a pretty good tube "edge" to the sound (to my untrained ears anyway) - without having to use an outboard pedal.

I certainly understand not being a fan of digital though:D