Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Light Combo with 2 inputs/channels ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tony moore, Mar 5, 2006.

1. I've been using a GK 200MB and a Raven Labs PMB for a long, long time. I bought the GK new so that oughta tell you something...

Other than the Ampeg 228 (seperate thread), does anyone know of any combo's that have 2 seperate inputs and channels?

I play both EBG and DB on most gigs and my rig serves me well, but I'm interested in seeing what else is out there...

I owned an EA Wizzy combo for awhile and LOVED the sound for both EBG and DB, but it was pretty dang heavy and awkward and I never used the EQ anyway. Hmmmm, maybe I should by the powered Wizzy cab and use the Raven PMB?

Regardless, I'd love to hear from other folks experiences with this. Any other doublers had to deal with this?

Thanks!

Tony

PS - FWIW, my basses are a Shen lammy with a Fishman Full Circle and a stock Fender Jazz bass.

2. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Acoustic Image Clarus or Focus heads have two input channels. Though, one is a mic channel so I guess that's not exactly what you're looking for.

A kid at my school has a walter woods with two channels that he uses for upright and electric and it sounds amazing, but that's not a combo.

Oh wait, the new AI amps have those plugs that take either 1/4 inch or mic, so that would work. I would check those out. Pending what electric tone you like, you may not like the AI sound, for upright I don't think you can beat it. FWIW, I use the AI with my fretless and upright. I'm looking into getting the new model too.

I'd check into the new AI combos.

Hope this helps.

3. Good idea. For elecric, I just go after a clean, Fender Jazz tone.

I've never played but, but the downfiring woofer has always worried me. How would you describe the tone EBG?

Thanks!

Tony

4. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    Well, I'd say that it is ultra clean and maybe sterile. But I like it.

I use a 62 Re-issue fretless fender jazz through it and I love it.

I have to confess, I do use a Fishman Pro-Platinum EQ for both the upright and the electric through the amp. But to justify this, I always use them no matter what amp I'm playing through.

I don't know what type of music you're playing, but it works for what I do. I haven't been hindered by volume, and the new combos are have 100 watts more juice, which can't hurt. Granted, I didn't fill any rock venues with just the amp, but I have played with some heavy hitting drummers and it has sufficed for stage volume. Sound guys love the DI.

5. Thanks!

I have a Pro-EQ that I use for upright for when I'm going ampless but to a PA.

So do you have 2 Pro-EQ's for each?

What do you think they give you that the AI lacks?

Thanks again for the input!

Tony

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  7. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    If I'm using both basses on a gig (which I try to never ever do), I just turn the volume on the preamp all the way down and switch the cord between the basses, I have to do a few EQ adjustments only on the Pre-amp, I leave the amp flat.

I think that the EQ helps differently for each bass. I also have the Full-Circle and, fortunately or unfortunately, have come to believe that that pickup was designed to be used with the Fishman EQ. For the electric I can dial in a more Jaco-esque sound with the EQ and I really like the compressor that it has on it.

I'm happy to answer any questions. I really do love the AI gear. Of all the amps I have heard and played through, it really achieves what I want my amplified sound to sound like (which is not too amp-y).

8. Im confused, Leo still owned the company in 1962. What is
    a 62 re-issue ? I thought the jazz bass was introduced about 1960.

9. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    '62 re-issue is a jazz bass made supposedly like they made it in 62 but all new parts. I think mine was made in 2000 but it looks like a really well kept 62, and hopefully sounds like it.

10. Thanks for the info. I was confused after all which is
    normal for me. I still play an old Precision once in a
    while when Im not playing upright.

11. I had AI CONTRA and did NOT like the tone my old fretJazzBass (1968) through it.I have found the dowfiring woofer and the "clarity" maybe was the reason. That is why I bought older GK 150E combo for both of my basses DB. Now I am happy, have a simple life!

12. I decided to go ahead and order an Ampeg Portabass 228. 2 channels with independent gains and eq's and 2X8". We'll see how it works out :)

Thanks for all the input!

Tony

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Any review on how this amp is working out for you? How's the sound?

14. Well, the amp I received from MF had a pretty consistent distortion so they took it back and I'm due to receive another next week...

Outside of the slight distortion at low volumes (that increased with the volume but was consistent), the amp looks promising. The EQ seemed voiced well and I really like the swept mids. I didn't hear any or the citicisms about lack of lows and shrill highs at all. Quite the opposite actually! BUT, I did notice that unless you're listening directly in front of the amp, the sound projected was very hollow and "distant". Note that this was in my music room, so I'll need to try it on a gig to be sure...

I hope the distortion was a flaw and not inherent to the amp. But the Ampeg folks handled it really well. They responded within minutes and were very curious about the problem. So kudos to Ampeg's customer service!

I still have high hopes for the amp. The feature set, price, and portability are perfect for my needs. If the distortion was a flaw, I'll be very happy.

Stay tuned,

Tony

15. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I used an Ampeg B3158 for a while. It had a 15" and an 8" speaker, and you could adjust the blend between the two. The model has been discontinued.

I never could dial in what I felt was a good, natural sound with my upright at the time, so I sold it. But knowing what I know now about pickups, technique, EQ and such, I think I could probably make it sound a lot better now if I still had it. For one, I shoulda turned up the 8" driver and used the 15" less in the "mix" probably.

Anyway ... IMO that amp also suffered from the problem you described above with weak / inconsistent off-axis sound, and I thought it was pretty acute. I just couldn't deal with an amp that only sounded good to the people directly in front of me.

I hope the 228 works better & performs differently for you in a band setting.

16. Thanks for that reply Bolo!

The funny thing about my old GK 200MB is that I feel like it projects really evenly, at least off axis, tho' I'm not sure at what distance. And given the cabinets design, I wouldn't think it would.

That's a really important thing to me too. I want the other folks I playing with to enjoy the sound :)

Tony