1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Light Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gambisk, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Im currently playing in a worship band and am looking for a new overdrive. I have a Stovek Big Muff Pi and while i think it is a awsome pedal, 99% of the time its too harsh for our band set up. could anyone recomend a lighter overdrive that i could use.

Current set up is a warwick corvette(passive) into some kind of Ampeg 2x10 combo which has seen better days to put it lightly will hopefully be buying a Hartke 3500 and 4x10

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    The Big Muff definitely won't do, as that is a Fuzz, not an overdrive. How much gain are you looking for?

3. I have used my cousins Boss Blues Driver and it makes a really nice smooth light overdrive.

4. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    +1

I use an Ibanez TS5 for overdrive, I use it for pretty harsh sounds, but you can get light and smooth out of it if you want. The EHX English Muff'n gets a lot of love on this site, I've never tried it though. There are plenty others, but in my opinion, you can't really go wrong with overdrive. I don't think I've used an overdrive that had a bad sound...

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'm in the same situation to fill up guitar leads and the like.
    I just ordered an Analog.Man modded TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer. I figure with one of the 4 modes it offers I'll find something useful! ;)

I have a Fulltone Bassdrive but it's been kinda hard to get the "fuzz" out of it for useful purposes yet.

6. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    What sort of price range are you looking in? You can spend hundreds of $ on an overdrive or very little.

7. Swift713 - money isn't really that big an issue as i finally stopped being a student and got a real job. I would rather spend a bit more and get it right than be constantly expirimenting with the wrong things

Higgie - If I'm looking for something that will fill the space that is left when playing leads, I have been looking at a moollon overdrive as it seams to bleed some clean signal through without saturating the overall sound. As i said i have the Big Muff for the heavy end of things

8. every gigging bassist should have a sansamp bassdriver in their bag. i have it primarily as a backup preamp/di... it's saved my butt on several occassions. it's also useful as an overdrive...

9. shifter

shifter

Jul 10, 2006
    somewhere else
    I was looking for the same thing and i came away with a Hot Cake..

Awsome pedal as o/d goes and it's quiet as anything

10. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1

11. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    +1. sansamp is The Rock. :D

but seriously... the sansamp is an awesome pedal. get the 3-button version, if possible. it's like three sansamps in one, and it's almost the same price.

also, as mentioned, the Crowther Audio HotCake XLF may be a good way to go.

good luck!
    [​IMG]

12. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    seriously, jetpackdudeguy, you should just put that devil smilie in your signature...

13. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    +1

I love my Russian BigMuff but it is 'extreme' ;) The SansAmp BDI produces a 'gritty' sounding distortion that I love. In addition it's a great pre-amp and tube/speaker simulator!

The price difference between the 3 channel programabale and the regular one is minimal. ($200 vs. $210) at one major on-line retailer.

14. The hotcake XLF seems to be the way to after viewing Spankys video demo fell in love with it esspecially the way its capable of replicating the muse sound, not what i need it for but its a nice touch. Any ideas where i can get my hands on one??

15. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    who said a Big Muff is too harsh for church? *L* I use mine.. alot...

Anyways,

Good responses.. also look at teh EHX Hot Tubes or EHX Emglish Muff'N. both have HUGE rnges of tone from subtle break-up to full on nasty.

16. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Say, how do Hot Tubes and English Muffin compare to each other and to 2UBE? Anybody?

17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    the 2UBE is a pre-amp, so at most it gets a bit of breakup.

18. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i tried... but TB won't let you post images in your signature. or maybe i'm missing something.... :meh:
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

19. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    lol

P.S. If you cant tell I like the name jetpackdudeguy better

20. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    it's all good. :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021