1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Light weight bass head suggestions and opinion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass7858, Sep 29, 2013.

1. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    I'm looking to reduce my load in. Bought a ampeg pf500 @GC yesterday and after it quit producing sound in the middle of a song last nite returned it today for a refund. I was digging the sound but understand these particular heads have issues.

Heads that interest me at this point GK MB 500 and 800,
    Genz shuttle 6.0-9.0 as well as the stream 6 and 9. Mark bass has never really caught my eye.....have read some negativety about the lm tube 800...maybe I have not looked at the right models.

Another head that has been suggested is the kustom kxb500.
    Finally...12-13 lbs is about a 1/3 of what I am schlepping now....So I guess the carvin b2000 would certainly be an option and push any cab/cabs a person wanted to use.
    Also, a peavey ipr stereo amp or other lightweight power amp with a nice pre-amp has many options too.

thanks for any opinions and the time it took to give them

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  3. Buy an Aguilar Tone Hammer and be done with your search.

Thread over. :D

4. Genz Benz Shuttle.

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Isn't that a bit like recommending a Hyundai Accent when someone is shopping Cadillac?

He listed some pretty nice stuff in the op.
    I'm not trying to knock the rumbles, but entry level Fender stuff just isn't a GB shuttle or shuttlemax. Also I don't think anyone here would disagree about GB's customer service reputation being good.

OP, was the PF500 your only amp? Is there something a bit larger or heavier that you already have? If you are at the very beginning of your bass journey, then by all means, check out everything, but the amps mentioned in your OP are some very nice units, indeed, and IMHO would far outclass any entry-level line.

6. leroy diamond

leroy diamond Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    The markbass f500 is a cracker, though now discontinued but a real bargain on the used market when they show up.

7. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    It seems that light weight heads dominants the market these days, at least the newer amps. There are so many, and I am sure newer models are on the way. Not sure the sound you are looking for but the GK 800 sounds very good to me as it is within your interest. Has enough power at 4 ohms to power any cabinet yet can fit in your gig bag.

8. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Agree 100% Rumbles Rock! The Rumble 350 head is very conservatively rated and uses the very same B&O power amp as the Aguilar Tone Hammer and Genz Benz. Get a highly reliable and great sounding bass amp for $400 vs $750+

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Fender's issue here is they overloaded the name "Rumble"

Go take a look.
    Schematics are online.
    Again 5 year transferable warranty.
    That's not your older brother's Rumble

10. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Dec 27, 2010
    Western AR
    I guess I'm glad I keep running in to stories about PF500's dying in less than 24 hours. I was planning to buy one in October. I'm leaning toward choice "B".... MB500.

11. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    Maybe should have qualified. Not starting a journey. Been playing for 42 yrs. Kind of tired of lugging heavy stuff. Have owned multiple combos. Owned multiple modulars (i.e. head/cab) Current head is a peavey pro bass 500.
    Never have liked it.

Gonna have lds build me a cab for 2 12" speakers I have now and hopefully keep it light for size and on one of those small folding hand trucks. Then if can get the bass and head and few chords is a soft case im set.
    hopefully.
    I like my sound to be clear...not into distortion. Cant say that i'm lookin for uncolored. love full, punchy and round.
    I know all of that is subjective. any help appreciated

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You got all the tools you need then, buy them, try them, return them if they don't work out.

Lightweights cost hardly anything to ship if they're not available local.

You're not going to get much more "clean" power than picking a power amp, but they all seem to be 2-space racks. Any pre you add is going to add the color.

13. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Gk MBF 500 ...GK tone with added tube flavor and footswitchable channel switch option; loud as heck. ...very compact.

14. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    I have to agree with the rest my rumble 350 head has been solid since I bought it a year ago and it doesn't get babied.

15. bass7858

bass7858

Apr 11, 2009
    central florida
    Hopefully I just cured my gas for lighter smaller bass amp!!
    Just ordered a Shuttle 9.2 for $495.00 from The Bass Place in Arizona :bassist::bassist::bassist:

16. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Amazing prices on GB gear right now...if I wasn't already well represented in that category...I'd be all over it, before the distribution channels dry up...Great gear, great people behind it.

Kim

17. My only gripe about the lightweight amps are that they are usually lacking in tonal shaping abilities. I like a lot of options and a good-old eq (9 band at least). I like the Carvin BX500 for this reason. There are others that have it, but I didn't like the Markbass amps (I've owned the Tube800 and their 500 in a combo). I really like the Promethean lightweight amp, but they have little options for shaping your sound. Sound and tone are totally a subjective argument and this is just my personal opinion, but - such as it is - that's it.

18. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On