1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lighter Gauge Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mikhail1, May 18, 2011.

1. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    Ok, this getting old crap is playing heavily on the hands so I'm looking at going to lighter gauge strings, .40 to .95's nickel roundwounds. Money is a consideration (isn't it always!) so I'm looking at D'Addario's, EB's and GHS Boomers. I've played heavier versions of the D'Addarios and EB's and find them very similar, but have never played Boomers. I want a string with even feel and light tension. Oh and I want Strings and Beyond to carry them in case I EVER GET MY $40 COUPON FROM ELIXIR!:D Thanks for the help!

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Would you say that the level of pain in your hands is the same on the E string as it is in the G string?

As usual, I'd recommend Circle K Balanced tension sets, maybe the Balanced 100 as it will lighten up the tension on those thinner strings while retaining the tension on the lower strings. Maybe even a Balanced 96 set would be of your liking.

3. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    If you like what you are playing already, the safest bet tonally is to stick to the same brand/model and just drop the size.

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Well you won't get that with 99% of sets. What you need is a tension-balanced set, equal tension on each string. I recommend buying single strings 95 70 50 35. I know the gauges look small but this set plays beautifully, the equal tension means a more even technique across the strings which is less stressful on the hands.

5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I have turned soooo many people on to the Circle K's I should be getting a commission! Anyway, the balanced tension sets are the way to go. I am using 96's right now on my 4 strings and they are unreal.

6. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    Sounds interesting
    Are they nickel or steel wrap.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    A combination. They claim a nickel-steel hybrid, and from experience, it's about like nickel-plated steel. Brighter than nickel, but they are quite easy to tame. They also seem to last forever.

8. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    I tried light's (90-35) and they WERE a great deal easier on the hands and felt very unique. They worked VERY well with a pick. But that's not mostly how I play and they don't appear to Slap that great (YMMV of course). The best thing you can do is try them and see.

9. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    I seem to remember Skip of Circle K saying the outer wrap is nickelplated steel and the inner wraps are steel.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Might also try Dean Markley blue steel light gauge. 45-100 Their med gauge is little less tension then rotosund and dr neons which to me are medium tension. Enough that little truss rod tweak was needed when switched to them. The light gauge would be even lighter. Or even the extra light which is 40-95.