1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lightwave SpaceBass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderitter, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I've been seeing this in the banner ad the last couple of days, so I thought I'd take a look.

[​IMG]

On first pass it looks like an interesting bass, even thought the name has been used and is pretty 1970s to me! Anyway, then I saw the price!

I was thinking this would be a sub $2000 sort of bass but it's starting is $2995 for a four-banger. I'm assuming that is the MSRP, and the retail will be less.

Does anyone know any more, or has anyone had a play, or even own one of these?

2. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    looks like a Tune from 1995

3. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    You can kill someone with that thing lol!!!

4. looks very 20's to me, like some Art Deco geometric bass. if there were electric basses as we know them today in the 20's that would fit in well with them.

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Yeah; the description says it was designed with the help of Hatsukazu Fujitani, founder of TUNE Guitar Technology of Japan.

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    It'd look even better as a headless fan fret..... The 1 pictured.... 36 frets!?

7. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    for 2995$ you should at least get a pickup with it :p

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    This one to be exact.

az7mk8l5h2.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, there's a wee bit of similarity there.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    That's mainly because Chris Wilcox(founder of LW) and Hatsukazu Fujitani(founder of TUNE) have been working on the space bass for over a decade and they are now in the process of offering they're collaborative efforts to the general public.

There are pics of Chris Wilcox with the Lightwave SpaceBass model that goes back to the 90's.

Here's some hisory on the SpaceBass.

http://www.lightwave-systems.com/products/spacebass_bass_guitar.php

I'm a Lightwave endorser.

11. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Much of the expense in this instrument is the Lightwave elements and electronics, which have never been cheap. Here's hoping the rest can be attributed to premium woods and workmanship.
    Actually, I kind of like it!

12. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy Registered Loser Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    The cost also comes from this bass being completely made here in the US. Their other models have been made in Korea and then finalized in the US. And they have a very well-known and respected luthier, Mark Garza, doing the woodworking. That gets expensive fast, but it's a great move for them. Kudos!

13. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Does the design of the Lightwave optical pickup/bridge system make intonation of the string at the saddle a bit of a hassle?

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

For me there was a very minor learning curve and from there it's just like intonating a traditional bass bridge.

15. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Interesting.

I hope that my next question does not put you on the spot in any way...it is not intended to do so: Do you find the Lightwave pickups/ bridges to be "fragile" in any way? I have not played a bass with this pickup system yet, and I love the concept, but for some reason I am under the impression that the system might be a bit more finicky than magnetic pickups.

Thanks again.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    No you're not putting me on the spot at all.

To answer your questions.

The pickups or bridge are not fragile at all. I play my LW's in the same exact way I play my none LW basees, with no thought at all of any possible damage occuring to the pickups or bridge or any other part of the LW bass.

I have never had to have any part(s) replaced at all.

Playing a LW is not at all like playing a high end classical guitar, where fragility could be a logical concern if you play it or handle it a certain way.

No not at all. If you ever get the chance, you would be surprised at the versatility and how much low end you can get out of it.

You're welcome.

17. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    With my luck I would reach down to pick up something off the floor and poke my eye out! Scary bass shape!

18. I use a Lightwave Saber VL-5 and play it pretty much the same as a conventional p/up
    bass. The necks and response are second to none IMO. The controls take a little getting used to, but actually very well thought out. I think LW basses have yet to make their mark, but clearly Chris is a genious as far as innovative design and functionality

19. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    piezo-only?

no thanks.

20. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Not actually a piezo. Its a LightWave optical pickup.