1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lightweight VS Heavyweight Rigs & Home Practice VS Live

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassballs27, Sep 27, 2013.

1. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Alright, I hope this thread title brings in some interest into a small dilemma I'm having.

After owning a lot of heavy equipment over the years, I'm thinking of trying out a lightweight rig. That heavy equipment meaning Eden Cabs. Yeah, that good old almost 100lbs 410XLT (owned two of them) and even had a 210XLT and 115XLT which wasn't too bad, but not light cabs.

This year, after discovering Mesa Boogie, I sold / traded away all of my Eden equipment. I've really come to like the Mesa sound. The problem is the weight. I've even had the chance of owning a couple of Ampeg rigs that I bought used for fun, but I've been slowly selling the Ampegs off recently, digging the Mesa's a little more.
    The PR-810 is exactly what people say about, sounds fantastic, needs a lot of power to sound good.....but is down right a BEAR of a cabinet at 212lbs. Even my Mesa 8x10 at 172 isn't a one person cabinet.....but I seemed to fine managing the slightly slimmer Ampeg 810E's at 140 lbs on a few stairs just by flipping it end over end. The Mesa however, doesn't work out so well.

Along with the Mesa 8x10, I've got a couple of 4x10's and 2x12's. Glad I went modular.....easier to deal with....but it seems with the Mesa 4x10's....I'm right back where I started with the Eden's! Hahaha. Mind you, the 2x12's are really nice weight at 68lbs with the Neo Mesa drivers.

Alright, after explaining the sound I tend to like, let me get to what I'm looking for......a lighter and flatter responding sounding rig. The names Epifani, Tecamp, and TC Electronics seem to come mind. Good part is, I've played a UL902C and DIST 410 and really liked it. Not a rock and roll rig, but it sounded great to my ears since I like a flatter response. I've got a chance to pick up a used UL2 410 that was made in the Brooklyn shop, so it is a little older.
    I tested out a Tecamp L410 and Puma 900 at George Furlanetto's shop a few weeks back. I was very impressed. Very loud, great sound. Now, TC Electronics is available at my local Long and McQuade (Canada's music giant), had the chance of playing a TC Electronics Blacksmith with a Mesa 412......that was a real treat. I liked it. Not sure if it will be all that reliable though.....I worry a little about too many digitized components. Maybe one day the tuner will fail and the stored eq will stop working......makes my Titan V12 look more promising.

Now comes a further question, which of the lighter weight rigs seem to cut through the mix live?

I can definitely admit that the Mesa cabs I have aren't truly flat sounding. The 4x10's tend to have a bit of a midrange scoop to them.....with lots of low end. The 2x12's will likely cut a little more being very midrange....great for a fingerstyle. Now, playing my 2x12's and 4x10's together with two separate amps......is just amazing. I can thank Justin Chancellor for inspiring me with this rig as well as a cool TB'er named Toolmybass. :)

The unfortunate thing is, I'm playing out too much anymore, so I'm relying a bit on the help of my fellow talkbass members here. I think the Epifani has become a tried and true name for a while now. Tecamp and TC are a little new to the game. Maybe there's other's I should look at it? Oh yeah, I did try GK.....they sound good too, but I'm not always so into their stuff. Worried about reliability.
    In fact, I've heard Epifani amps aren't that reliable either.

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I haven't owned any GK gear in year. However, I can't imagine where you came up with a bad reputation for reliability for that company. I'm not saying it isn't true. I'm only saying we must run in very different circles. I have played and sold gear (even managed a store for a while) for decades and never once heard anyone say that GK gear was not reliable. In fact, quite the opposite.

Other than that, I can't help you much. Possibly you could ask some guys about the fEarful designs and see if they can help you find a "one cab fits all" box that will take your face off.

3. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    I guess I should say that GK has improved on some of the recent stuff that's out, but my past experience with their amps hasn't been so good. Heck, Justin Chancellor was carrying three GK2001RB's in his rig where two are being used (one clean, the other for distortion) and the third is a "spare" in case one "blows up".

Anyway, any brand can in theory be problematic.......lets take realiability out of the equation and just go for good ol' sound.....that way a flame war doesn't happen!

And I've heard a bit about the fEARFUL's.......but I can't play them up here in Canada.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

All of them can cut the mix, they just will do it with different flavour. Speaking of Epifani (I love mine) while they are much more flat than most cabinets, they definitely have a bit of a mid scoop characteristic to them. My UL310 cuts the mix just fine and my band loves it from a tonal standpoint. My "big" cab these days is a fEARful 1212/6 which actually has a flat response, it would definitely fit your criteria and I prefer it to 410s just for the size. I can carry it through a door while holding it by the sides, a 410 requires maneuvering to get through a door.

5. You cant? There are two cabs that I know of in Ontario.

My suggestion would be a Mesa M9 and a fEARless F115.

6. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Please do tell me where......do they have a Canadian dealer out here?

7. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Hmmm.......sounds good. I think that Epifani UL2 410 might be a contender, but I'd like to check out that fEARful gear.

8. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Argh, Shobass is out in Ottawa.
    That's about a 6 hour drive for me.......hmmm....maybe a road trip will be setup in the near future.

9. There are also some cabs down near Toronto.

User map.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've left all my heavy gear (Eden, Aguilar, Glockenklang) and gone to all lightweight gear. No regrets at all. For me, Jim Bergantino's cabs fill the bill, especially the CN212. I usually put a GK head on top (MB800 and Fusion 800) and I don't miss any of the heavy rigs one bit. The AE410 is great for larger venues and outdoor gigs.

11. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Hey Munji! Still kicking around eh......it has been awhile.

Yeah, Bergantino is another brand I'd like to look into.

I've played a 410 Berg in the past and man did it sound great.

12. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA

13. GK issues I've read about in TB were the Backline series and I've read about MB500's having issues when they were built in China. I actually own one of the made in China models and have had no issues in almost two years of ownership. GK should be in the running for amps if you're looking for lightweight equipment.
    What I've read about Fearful designs their strength lies with flatness in sound and amazing designs and output. Sounds ideal for what you're looking for. You may want to create a new thread asking any Fearful or Fearless owners in Ontario (I take it, Western Ontario(London?)) if you could drive over and try their gear? Maybe Dekker and/or Shobass has a testimonial they can hook you up with?

14. Look on the map I linked.

dug dog

15. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Sounds good man. Yeah, I'm west of Toronto.....but closer than London.

I'm going to try this member that CL400Peavey mentioned below.

16. mrdlaw

mrdlaw

Mar 31, 2010
    slc UT
    I've been gigging my tc gear for about 4 yrs. now. Never any problems and love the endless tone options and modular versatility!

17. busapilot911

busapilot911

Nov 5, 2003
    PA
    Sell everything and get a good set of In ears and a Sans amp. Never carry anything over 10 pounds again.

18. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Got a Sansamp....I like the sound of speakers, not a fan of in-ears or an headphone style apparatus.

Thanks for the input.