1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 HX Stomp on Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by archisland, Oct 20, 2018.

1. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    This lil video that I did might be useful to someone... maybe?

I'm trying out ALL of the bass presets included with the HX Stomp - and in the end of the video, I'm going through my personal presets with three different basses :)

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    You should put a link to this in the other thread in this topic.

archisland likes this.
  3. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    Thanks! I'll do so! :)

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Last thing I need, but sounds like it'd be pretty awesome for both bass and guitar...

archisland likes this.
  5. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    It is!! Been using the LT ans Native for over a year now - versatile and awesome!

6. Hey Erik, I tuned in on your Q & A. The Stomp and Attitude sound great together. Nice playing as well. Cheers.

archisland likes this.
  7. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    Thanks! Glad to hear that you tuned in! :)

8. spaceatl

spaceatl

Jun 22, 2018
    Thanks for the demo. Nicely done. I have been using the HD Desktop for over 8 years and it is time to move to HX. I have been waiting for this box for a long long time.

archisland likes this.
  9. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    Sweet! Hit me up if you have any questions :)

BrentSimons and spaceatl like this.
  10. Alright then...what came first...the chicken or the egg? :)

Great video as usual! Thank you for posting!
    Best wishes,
    Brent

archisland likes this.
  11. LegoPirat

LegoPirat

Jan 5, 2016
    Hi! Great video!
    I have Yamaha BB and I sold my entire pedalboard because I bought Zoom B3. Zoom is fabulous mfx, but I am an overdrive junkie. I can make excellent live usable patches on zoom, but I am thinking of adding Line 6. So, my questions, what are yours impressions of different OD's and distortions HX Stomp can produce? How "analog" they sound? How they react to playing and are they sonically different (because on Zoom everything has the same zzzzz sound, and eq-ing only masks it)
    Just additional comment - after trying Zoom I am never gonna return to individual effects. Such PITA to set and change, during playing, different sounds without adding 100 more pedals...

Thank you!

12. I was also a happy user of the Zoom B3. Used it live for several years. I learnt to use OD / Distortion / Fuzz / warm 70's sounds with this unit. After 2 years hesitating, I finally got the full Helix (just when the LT was released, taking advantage of some sales).

Distortions, ODs and "strongly driven amps" (for me ALL are serving the same function) are considerably better than the ones in Zoom.

I studied why I was not 100% happy with zoom, the only amp model that got me "a realistic touch of overdrive" was the SVT model. The rest are just "EQ curves" or someting that you could recreate with impulse responses. Very handy, but if you want to get some subtle OD with just an amp model... There was one to use! It is true that combining SVT and OD and distortion I got very good sounds for my Zeppelin cover band. THE FACT THAT ALL OD / Dist / Fuzz models have blend control was key to get easily good sounds (not in Helix products).

Helix is much, much better for amps. Bass and guitar. ~50% guitar amps with bass cabs / IRs or just post-amp EQs are really usable. I mean GOOD. Specific OD / Dist for bass are VERY good (Obsidian and Clawthorn drive) are worth it the full price of the HX stomp by themselves.

Then Some ~30% guitar OD/Dist are very good for bass, but some would need a separate path with / without crossover. Bear in mind that not all blocks have a "blend" control like in the zoom B3, and blending (with/without crossover) can be trickier than people think, specially for bass. Anyway the choice is excellent. I suggest to try some "legacy" dirt models with bass.

Perhaps I'd dare to say that I am not impressed with fuzz models. But I do not care, some guitar distortion pedals or the Clawthorn Drive (What I use now in Zeppelin's Heartbreaker) are perfect to get the sould in my mind.

I cannot be happier that I sold my B3 and went for the full Helix. I am sure you won't regret. If the stomp or Helix FX was available 2 years ago, I would have bought one of them (considerably smaller / lighter / cheaper). Now I don't want to downsize... I use the full Helix for other things (mix keyboards and FX for other instruments) and now it is hard to go back.

Jonny_Orange, m2k2p and Nunovsky like this.
  13. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    The overdrives and distortions of the HX Stomp and the Helix LT are really great IMHO. They react nicely to your "touch" and respond very nicely to when you "dig in" etc. :)

jaysbass2002 and Nunovsky like this.
  14. LegoPirat

LegoPirat

Jan 5, 2016
    I have completely the same impression about Zoom. Blend is my best friend!
    Thank you for your help. When the answer is this much understandable, I know exactly what to do next :)

15. LegoPirat

LegoPirat

Jan 5, 2016
    Thank you too!

archisland likes this.
  16. saidm

saidm

Nov 2, 2016
    archisland thanks for sharing the patch.
    I use the ARKO METAL SVT.hlx at a gig last two week it sounds good.

17. BassJams2112

BassJams2112

Feb 14, 2013
    Awesome review man. I just ordered one of these from Reverb. I actually have the DG amp as well and considering selling it for a very small rig setup. Thanks for a great review of this.

18. DeltaDelta

DeltaDelta

Feb 17, 2018
    Italy
    I watched the video last night following a Youtube search, and randomly stumbled upon the thread today.
    Very useful video for me :thumbsup:
    I am currently eyeballing this...I was actually on the lookout for a preamp/di with headphone out for tone shaping/silent practice and then...I discovered this unit.Oh boy!
    I am intrigued by the possibilities, at the same time I am a bit weary of menus and folders (was looking more for a good old-fashioned knob tweakin').
    In this resepect, how are the learning curve and editing experience?

19. Chiliwailer

Chiliwailer

May 18, 2013
    London
    I’m very curious about these, particularly regarding the effects.

My most used pedals are envelope filter, octave and chorus. Are the effects on the Stomp as natural sounding as a high end single unit pedal?

Thanks.

20. RoxKeller

RoxKeller

Mar 10, 2013
    DFW
    Have you had any experience with this unit compared to the Headrush Gigboard?
    I sure like the user interface on the Headrush (big display) but I fear it lacks enough
    bass specific sounds

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021