Line 6 TonePort UX1 / UX2

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by darthblav, Jan 25, 2006.

1. darthblav

Jan 28, 2004

I was thinking about getting some sort of interface to record guitar tracks on my computer. I really seemed to focused on the Line 6($129) TonePort UX1 or UX2($199). They both come with pod effects and cab tones which I thought was pretty cool.

What are your thoughts on this system? Do you think I should front the cash for the more expensive system TonePort? Any other suggestion just b/c this is a piece of crap brand?

2. jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    I have the ux1 and it's absolutely magnifficent. It seems to be better to use with guitar than bass, but it's absolutely useable.

Absolutely worth the price!!!

Don't bother getting the ux2 unless you're planning on using phantom powered mics.
  3. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Any latency problem?
  4. telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I use the old Guitar Port (with 1 1/4" input only) with Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro to record guitar or bass tracks. The models are great and the effects sound good too. When I record bass, I go from the DI on my Eden WT550 and turn off all "virtual preamps". This works well and sounds good.

A good thing to know that even though the Line 6 product is primarily for guitarists that there are some presets for bass as well. The preset called "J-Bass" is atually very nice when you plug a J bass directly into the guitar port.

I'm sure the new Tone ports work the same way, except you have more options as far as inputs go. i would like one someday, but I'm set so far.

As far as latency, I have no issues. You can adjust the response time of the Line 6 hardware so that you don't get any buffering problems. I found on my P4 2.66GHz laptop I have to set it to "7" to avoid any problems. What it sounds in the real world is playing with an amp that's set up accross the room. You might get a very very small delay from playing the note to actually hearing it, but we're talking milliseconds here. When you record the tracks sound dead on.

It tracks well into cakewalk, so I don't have to use the amp simulators that came with the Cakewalk software. I messed with them a bit but the Line 6 models are way better. It integrates perfectly with Cakewalk.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.
  5. I have the UX2, and I like it a lot. I believe that the UX1 doesn't have the footswitch jacks for val/wah, and they don't have that volume monitor on the toneport...but of course, none of those things are necessary, but nice to have :)
    I have an Apple iBook G4, and there is no latency whatsoever, and it works perfectly with Garageband :)

and i don't tihnk i would say line 6 is a piece of crap brand :)
  6. foyos

Feb 10, 2006
    lisbon portugal
    i am gasing for a sucker like this.can you all just explain me2 things please?
    1-u have to be connected to a computer to use it?
    2-is there need for extra software to record?
    Thanks a whole lot in advance
  7. yes...the toneport is basically a guitar-to-usb converter (among other things)

all the software you need is included, gearbox for tones, and ableton live for recording, although i find it very unusable...i use garageband
  8. foyos

Feb 10, 2006
    lisbon portugal
    ok.thanks man!
  9. It's not too bad, and the price is really nice. But there are much better interfaces out there.

Rock on
  10. I use the UX-2 for guitar, bass and vocals. and like it very much. very tweakable tones and easy to use. Great product.
  11. i have a UX1 in the post, cant wait! :D
  12. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    I don't have the line product, but it sounds like the software alone is worth the price. Anybody agree?

I'm thinking of buying the Line just for the software as I have a better interface.

Will the software work as a VST in another host program?
  13. I think that the gearbox is well worth the money, however i have found ableton to be unusable....i don't think you can use the gearbox effects as a VST effect, however the software is can use gearbox with any recording program
  14. Digging up another old thread. . .

Superbassman2000 are you still using the TonePort with Garageband? Is it possible to run the out from the Toneport to a mixer or PA?

My bro gave me a ProTools rig but it wants an external harddrive and doesn't work well with my Intel-based Mac laptop. Basically I want a simple way to record bass to the computer and ideally rig something with Propellerhead Reason.
  15. I run my toneport audio out into a mixer channel and use it as a preamp more than anything. I don't run the audio into my computer via usb. Because i like to "live mic" stuff without the tonport it's hard to set Sonar to have the usb input and a line-in input, so i just run everything though a line in.
  16. Hey guys, I've recently got an UX1, installed the sw, hooked it up to the usb port, it recognises it, etc...
    but... no sound...

I cant figure out what the hell the software is really meant to do...

I don't wanna screw around with amps, settings etc... all I want is to plug the bass into the pc, and record while i'm playing. (I'd also like to hear it as I'm recording)

So... can anyone give me a quick get started guide?

17. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    bump because i am having the same problem.
  18. aleksander_sk

Mar 6, 2007
    I really need some advie on how to connect my different gear to the UX2

This is my gear:
    -SWR Redhead amp
    -BOSS GT6b pedalboard
    -BOSS AB-2 switchpedal (between my two basses)
    -2 basses

The AB-2 offcourse go into the GT6b's input, but all the others i don't know where goes.

I've got the cables, but don't really know how to connect all this.

I would really like to use the Redhead as a monitor and not my computer speakers.

How do I do it?