Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 TonePort UX2

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by opivy3056, Oct 25, 2005.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    hey whats up

this thing looks pretty cool. Can I use it to record vocal bass and guitar tracks for my band and then add in drums later? (or could i use an external mixer to do drums too?!)

Do I have to buy software to use it with? If so, which would you recommend?

thanks!

2. ....side down (couldn't resist, sorry...)

hey, I checked the thing out in a local store, looks are cool, bit much plastic though. I liked the knobs and meters. The larger of the two has all the goodies, two mic ins with phantom power, a guitar and bass in. Comes with amp simulation and effects for guitars and bass (software called gearbox) which sounded pretty neat and for about 100 bucks you get extended software. Recording software is also included, ableton lite, which I like. I've also heard about some conflict issues with other sound harware, esp. soundblaster stuff, when both is in use simultanously, guess that has to be checked.

An alternative I have tried is the m-audio fasttrack pro, which is in the same price-range, but looks a bit more versatile, sounded better on the vocals and offers midi support and no known conflicts with other hardware. Enough software to start with included, but not the cool looking meters. The thing looks a bit more pro though.

So, for recording-beginners or low budget (like me haha) I'd say both look good, but I would go for the m-audio cause of the midi support. Mmmmm...then again.....I don't really know, the line6 ux-2 looks retro-coolish...hmmn

Hope that helps

Jens

P.S. You can record other stuff through the mic ins (drums with extra mixer for example)