Line 6 Variax Bass Transplant?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew Pressman, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Andrew Pressman

Andrew Pressman Commercial User

Aug 30, 2017
    Austin, Texas
    I am the sales rep at Calton Cases in Austin, Texas
    Has anyone moved the electronics system from a Line 6 Variax Bass into a nicer instrument? I am selling one for a buddy. I just read the owners manual. Conceptually, this thing is so ahead of it's time. The instrument library is so thorough and thoughtful. a Modulus Flea Bass, an Alembic Series Bass, a Hofner, a Danelectro, a Kay upright and a ton of different Fenders. It's obviously going to have some tonal compromises compared to the actual instruments but would it even remotely cool if that system was installed in a bass that was at least the quality of an American Standard Fender Instrument.

Has anyone heard of this being done?

2. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Sounds like a sweet project waiting to happen!

Warpeg likes this.
  3. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    There have been a few people that have done it. (google search)
    Here is my fav - Custom Viola Prototype
    I actually plan on doing this to my Kramer Alum neck LP bass as soon as my luthier skills get a little better.

4. smarthound

smarthound

Mar 15, 2020
    About ten years ago there was an amazing step-by-step thread by a guy (Rose W) who built his own body and transplanted a 5 string Variax's electronics into it. Exotic woods including cocobolo, looked stunning. The site is sadly long gone and this poor resolution pic is all I could find.
    exit45.jpg