1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Line 6 Variax power supply question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Maud, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Maud

Maud

Jan 2, 2012
    Down South (UK)
    I've just bought a Variax but it won't arrive for a week or so, it isn't coming with the power supply, Di or TRS cable so I would like to make one up myself.
    I spoke to Line 6 today and apparently they don't sell the XPS Di box but do sell the TRS cable and power supply, not much use if it's not a full set :scowl:.
    I can get a 5m TRS cable for a quarter of what Line 6 want and the power is just a normal 9v pedal supply.
    I am going to use an old A/B box with a stereo jack socket wired in for the input and the normal outs, one to the amp and the other to a tuner.
    What I need to know is which part of the cable does the power go to, tip, ring or sleeve? And I assume it earths through the negative side of the instruments sound signal. So I'd have postive sound signal, positive power supply and negative sound signal/earth for power supply .............. is this right and does anyone know what goes to which part of the TRS cable?
    I'm sorry if I'm rambling a bit, I'm not an electrical whizz but this should be easy enough, right? :bag:

Thanks in advance :)

2. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Did you figure it out? I can measure the the outputs on my Line 6 direct box and tell you what is used for what.

3. No it isn't. Typical pedal power supplies are 9VDC@200mA, the Line6 power supplies are either 9VAC@1.2A or 9VAC@2A. I believe the Variax instruments require the 2A supplies, but I am not entirely sure from memory.

It should be obvious that the tip and sleeve terminals function normally, carrying the signal and ground, respectively. The DC power goes out on the ring terminal.

4. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    The Visual Sound 1 SPOT Handles up to 1700mA

5. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

Mar 6, 2011
    Reviving this one. Found a variax yesterday with the XPS-DI but no power supply, did anyone ever test it with a onespot?

I have yet to buy a TRS cable but i assume thats the easy part.