1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

linux mint1 compatable stuff?-fairly new to linux

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by justin fleenor, Feb 5, 2016.

1. justin fleenor

justin fleenor

Oct 14, 2014
    As thread title stated im running linux mint 1 debian cinnamon *lol* i have ardour and ive recorded a few things just from the sum out on my board to my soundcard and it worked for just getting original ideas recorded so we wouldnt forget stuff but i want it to actually sound good! i have been looking at some of the focusrite stuff on guitarcenter .com and im not sure how well it will like linux i cant use my gnx4 unless i use wine for protracks and wine seems to be very problematic idk maybe im doing something wrong,anyway if anyone else got tired of windows and went to linux knows what might be a fairly user-friendly option i would love to hear it.

2. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    You will likely have to do some configuring. A quick google suggested having to use Jack with Ubuntu. I don't know about Mint, though.

As with anything Linux, google is now your best friend.

Trundle likes this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Almost anything that applies to Ubuntu will apply to Linux Mint as well since it uses the same base and repositories as Ubuntu.

If you're completely new to working with audio on Linux drop by the Libre Music Production website and start your journey there. And while there, take a look (via their links) at KXStudio distro. That's a very good starting point, and has everything you need "under one roof" to get you started.

If you plan on doing a lot of audio work, it's generally a good idea to have a dedicated machine to do it on. You'll basically want a machine whose OS is stripped down and optimized for audio software. And in the case of Linux, probably also running a 'real time' kernal to minimize the potential for latencies when recording or producing music.

That's not as scary or expensive as it sounds. Because there are music distros that already have that all done for you - and many of them can be run as a "live" environment (i.e. booted and run of a disk or USB key) so they won't need to be installed onto a harddrive before you can get familiar and do some work with them.

But before you go that far, best follow the learning steps Libre Music Production suggests on their website. There's a lot to learn. And it's important to have some of the basics (like JACK, doing proper backups and maintenance, etc.) under your belt before you get too ambitious. Slow and steady wins the race with this stuff. No matter how much you already know about computers or your operating system.

As far as Linux hosted DAWs go, there are several that are native, and the inexpensive and popular Reaper for Windows which runs well under WINE on a properly configured Linux box. I personally like the Harrison Console Mixbus software. But it's not free ($80) - and it can start to get expensive once you start adding additional optional modules to it. Fortunately, they regularly put the add-on modules on sale for half price so it's not necessarily as expensive as it looks at first. And there are other less elaborate (i.e. traditional studio looking) DAW choices to look at as well.

And...that should be enough to get you rolling.

Luck! :thumbsup:

4. justin fleenor

justin fleenor

Oct 14, 2014
    Sweet, thanks

5. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    If you are interested in a properly configured distro for recording I would recommend AV Linux
    I have the latest version and as with every other version they have released it's totally improved and everything included works and it's usable. That's my criticism of Ubuntu Studio and the other distros, they are filled with unstable software or totally useless.

6. pravus

pravus

Feb 5, 2013
    Broomfield, CO
    I've used Arch Linux with Audiobox 22VSL and Audacity without issues. The audio interface plugged up and was recognized as a sound device without issue. I'd imagine the Focusrite does the same since they both should be using the USB audio standard. The biggest issues I've had are with Linux's sound management systems like Pulse and Alsa. Those can be tricky to deal with but Ubuntu usually configures things in a sane way.

7. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

I use CentOS (a derivative of Red Hat Enterprise Linux) and have no problems with simply plug and play (after Jack is installed) with my Behringer UCA222 Audio interface, OR my Behringer Xenyx X2442USB mixer. The same devices are reported to be 100% supported on Linux Mint and other Debian derivatives.