Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by romac, Aug 15, 2004.

1. I must be getting pretty annoying with all these questions :bag: ;)

But I often see people saying that listening to great bass players and just to good songs is good for you. With my current medical state and unable to play my bass often, I was interesting in really listening to music as a 'musician' rather than just a fan of music. So basically I was after some pointers of what to listen for??? Things like how the bass and the drums work together - is that the type of thing???

Thanks for any help.
  2. It helps me when I close my eyes when I listen. Something like taking away one of the senses heightens the others...I saw the Yellowjackets a while back, and they were all playing with their eyes could see the reactions on their faces.

I also try to learn beforehand (if it's a recording) what instruments are playing and try and 'single them out' while listening to the ensemble, if that makes sense.

Learn the difference between on top of, right on, and behind the beat and listen to who's doing what. I just listened to an old Art Blakey record, and he definitely plays on top.